Kane You Feel It? Wingnuts Bring Back 12-Game Winner
WICHITA, Kan. - With a six-game northern road trip looming, the Wichita Wingnuts bolstered the pitching staff on Friday with the signing of right-handed pitcher Tyler Kane.
The 2018 season will be Kane's third with the Wingnuts, having posted sparkling numbers in both 2016 and 2017. After posting a 1.69 ERA over three starts in his first Wingnuts campaign, the 25-year old was spectacular a season ago. Kane finished the year 12-1 with a 3.34 ERA, tied for the second-most wins recorded in a single season in franchise history. He was named the Wingnuts Pitcher of the Year with those team-leading 12 wins, allowing 101 hits in 102.1 innings while striking out a career-best 64 hitters.
The Seattle native spent the first part of 2018 pitching in the Mexican League with the Olmecas de Tabasco and Tigres de Quintana Roo. His signing brings the Wingnuts up to the league maximum of 23 players on the active roster.
After a three-year career at the University of Washington, Kane was selected by the Miami Marlins in the 38th round of the 2013 MLB Draft. The righty impressed immediately, posting a 1.65 ERA in 16.1 innings between the Marlins rookie-level affiliate and short-season Batavia. In 2014, Kane split time across three levels, again going 2-1 with a 4.63 ERA in 26 appearances out of the bullpen. He started the next season at Class-A Greensboro, making 17 more relief stints before being released. Prior to working as a starter with the Wingnuts, all 54 of Kane's minor league appearances came in relief.
Kane will be in uniform on Friday, wearing #21.
The Wingnuts will open a three-game series against the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks on Friday. Charlie Gillies (2-0, 0.69) will get the start for Wichita, while the RedHawks wil counter with righty D.J. Brown (2-0, 3.34). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 22, 2018
- Saints Let One Get Away, Lose 9-8 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Take Series Opener from Railroaders - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Brown's Strong Start Leads RedHawks to Win over Wingnuts - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Dogs Drop Walk-Off Heartbreaker to Lincoln 5-4 - Chicago Dogs
- Jacobs Walk-Off Lifts Saltdogs to Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- AirHogs Open Sioux Falls Series with Convincing 7-3 Win - Texas AirHogs
- Vernia Dominant as X's Shut out Cats - Sioux City Explorers
- Garrett's Big Night Not Enough, Birds Lose to Texas - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Two-Out Knocks Doom Wingnuts in Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Drop Opener to T-Bones - Cleburne Railroaders
- 'Cats Blanked by X's, 4-0, to Open 5-Game Road Trip - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Add Rookie Righty to Pitching Staff, Activate Gordon - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gopher Ball, Saints Sign University of Minnesota Infielder Luke Pettersen - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Return Home for Longer Stay Starting Friday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Carlos Contreras Shining in Return to AirHogs - Texas AirHogs
- Kane You Feel It? Wingnuts Bring Back 12-Game Winner - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Fall as RailCats Clinch Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Chicago Heads to Lincoln for Dogs vs. 'Dogs - Chicago Dogs
- Rafael Palmeiro to Face the T-Bones this Weekend - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Split Double Header with RedHawks - Sioux City Explorers
- Eight-Run Second Drives Goldeyes to Beat Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Fall to Wingnuts in Nail-Biter, Head Home Friday - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.