American Association Game Recaps
June 22, 2018 - American Association (AA) News Release
Lincoln 5, Chicago 4 - Box Score
The Lincoln Saltdogs were trailing the Chicago Dogs 4-2 going into the final inning but a big ninth frame pushed them to a 5-4 walk-off win.
In the bottom of the ninth, CF Angel Reyes drew a leadoff walk but RF Randolph Oduber (2-for-4) bounced into a double play, threatening to end the Saltdogs' late surge. But two singles and a walk loaded up the bases for 2B Cesar Valera who drew a walk of his own to pull Lincoln within a run. In the next at-bat, LF Brandon Jacobs doubled to score both SS Christian Ibarra and 1B Nathaniel Maggio; ending the game with a dramatic walk-off victory.
For the Dogs, SS Edwin Arroyo, 2B Trey Vavra and 1B Dalton Blaser each had a pair of hits.
Winnipeg 9, St. Paul 8 - Box Score
The Winnipeg Goldeyes put together a ninth-inning push to hold off the St. Paul Saints 9-8.
St. Paul was leading 7-6 heading into the final inning but the Goldeyes tied the score as PR Jordan Ebert touched home after a wild pitch and then took the lead on the next pitch as LF Dave Sappelt doubled to score 2B/3B Tucker Nathans (2-for-5). After a single from RF Josh Romanski (2-for-5), CF Reggie Abercrombie lifted a sac fly to score Sappelt for what turned out to be a crucial run.
In the bottom of the inning, the Saints drew within a run as DH Brady Shoemaker (2-for-4) doubled home SS Anthony Phillips but C Dante Bichette Jr. flew out after an intentional walk to 1B Noah Perio Jr. to end the game.
SS Andrew Sohn and RF Max Murphy each had three hits for their respective teams.
Sioux City 4, Gary SouthShore 0 - Box Score
The Sioux City Explorers shutout the Gary SouthShore RailCats 4-0 on Friday night at Mercy Field.
Sioux City starting pitcher Justin Vernia paved the way for the Explorers as he tossed seven innings and gave up just five hits, no walks and he struck out six batters. The win improves him to 4-1 on the 2018 season.
Offensively, Sioux City scored all four of its runs in the fourth inning. 3B Jose Sermo (2-for-4)tripled home SS Nate Samson for the game's opening run and then he scored as 2B Jay Baum singled. Baum and DH Dexture McCall both scored when C Dylan Kelly (2-for-4) doubled two batters later.
Gary had just seven hits in the game, two each from C Wilfredo Gimenez and RF John Price Jr.
Kansas City 7, Cleburne 4 - Box Score
After both teams plated four runs in the first inning, the Kansas City T-Bones held the Cleburne Railroaders scoreless the rest of the way as they won 7-4.
In the top of the first, 1B Levi Scott hit an RBI single and then scored alongside DH Rafael Palmeiro when LF Cameron Monger doubled. Monger scored in the next at-bat when C Michael Pair singled. But the T-Bones tied the score in the bottom of the frame as LF Dexter Kjerstad singled home CF Todd Cunningham (3-for-4) and then RF Keith Curcio hit a three-run home run.
Curcio scored the go-ahead run in the third on a single from C Adrian Nieto (2-for-4) and Nieto and Mason Davis each scored insurance runs in the eighth the put things away.
Texas 7, Sioux Falls 3 - Box Score
Behind three, three-hit performances, the Texas AirHogs dropped the Sioux Falls Canaries 7-3.
LF Dillon Thomas went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and an RBI, C Li Ning added three hits and three RBIs and DH Chen Junpeng went 3-for-4 with a pair of RBIs. None of the AirHogs left the yard on the night but both Thomas and Junpeng recorded doubles.
For the Canaries, CF Jordan Smith with 2-for-4 and C Maxx Garrett went 2-for-4 with all three of his team's RBIs including a two-run home run in the bottom of the sixth.
Fargo-Moorhead 6, Wichita 3 - Box Score
The Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks took the early lead and never trailed on their way to a 6-3 against the Wichita Wingnuts.
The RedHawks gained control of the night in the bottom of the second inning as they scored three runs. RF Tim Colwell (2-for-4) plated the first run with an RBI single and then he scored after 2B Maikol Gonzalez (2-for-5) singled. In the next at-bat, LF Devan Ahart (3-for-4) singled to plate CF Brennan Metzger. Ahart added another run in the fourth when he scored after a single from DH Keury De La Cruz (3-for-5).
After RF Hunter Clanin (2-for-3) and 2B Logan Watkins had RBI base hits for the Wingnuts in the top of the fifth, SS Yhoxian Medina scored after a single from Colwell. 1B Leobaldo Pina pitched in a sac fly for the RedHawks in the bottom of the sixth.
The Wingnuts scored the final run of the game on a wild pitch in the eighth.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 22, 2018
- Saints Let One Get Away, Lose 9-8 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Take Series Opener from Railroaders - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Brown's Strong Start Leads RedHawks to Win over Wingnuts - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Dogs Drop Walk-Off Heartbreaker to Lincoln 5-4 - Chicago Dogs
- Jacobs Walk-Off Lifts Saltdogs to Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- AirHogs Open Sioux Falls Series with Convincing 7-3 Win - Texas AirHogs
- Vernia Dominant as X's Shut out Cats - Sioux City Explorers
- Garrett's Big Night Not Enough, Birds Lose to Texas - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Two-Out Knocks Doom Wingnuts in Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Drop Opener to T-Bones - Cleburne Railroaders
- 'Cats Blanked by X's, 4-0, to Open 5-Game Road Trip - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Add Rookie Righty to Pitching Staff, Activate Gordon - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gopher Ball, Saints Sign University of Minnesota Infielder Luke Pettersen - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Return Home for Longer Stay Starting Friday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Carlos Contreras Shining in Return to AirHogs - Texas AirHogs
- Kane You Feel It? Wingnuts Bring Back 12-Game Winner - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Fall as RailCats Clinch Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Chicago Heads to Lincoln for Dogs vs. 'Dogs - Chicago Dogs
- Rafael Palmeiro to Face the T-Bones this Weekend - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Split Double Header with RedHawks - Sioux City Explorers
- Eight-Run Second Drives Goldeyes to Beat Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Fall to Wingnuts in Nail-Biter, Head Home Friday - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.