Cardinals Top Travs 6-4 in Opener
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- The Springfield Cardinals (10-11, 40-51) erased a 3-0 deficit to win the opener of a four-game series with the first-place Arkansas Travelers (14-7, 57-32) 6-4 on Thursday night in front of 4,911 fans at Hammons Field.
W: RHP Johan Oviedo (2-4)
L: RHP Darren McCaughan (7-5)
S: RHP Connor Jones (2)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- After having scored first in each of the last three games, the Cardinals instead had to battle back from a 3-0 hole on Thursday night. They did so with a four-run fourth inning capped by a two-run go-ahead double from CF Dylan Carlson that made the score 5-3. C Brian O'Keefe started the big inning with his seventh home run of the year, making it a 3-2 game. Later, 2B Alberto Triunfel singled Zach Kirtley home, tying things 3-3.
- LHP Jacob Patterson came on in relief in the eighth inning with Travelers on second and third and no outs and managed to get the Cardinals out of the jam unscathed with three straight outs.
- In the bottom of the third, Carlson's 14th home run of the year put the Cardinals on the board and gave Springfield some much needed momentum that carried into the four-run fourth.
- Oviedo struck out eight Travelers over 5.0 innings, allowing three runs on three hits and two walks.
- Carlson is now 8-for-15 since returning from the All-Star Futures Game. He finished Thursday 2-for-5 with three RBIs and a run.
- Jones was impressive in earning a two-inning save, striking out three Travelers and allowing just a single hit.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
The Cardinals and Travelers are back at it on Friday with first pitch scheduled for 7:10 p.m. and gates opening at 6:10 p.m.
We'll bring the reggae music and fireworks on Friday. You bring the warm sand and soothing waves. Alright, don't actually bring sand or ocean water. Just bring yourself to our July 12 game vs. the Travelers and stick around after for Friday Night Fireworks with Reggae Music!
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Bukauskas Bullish in the Permian Basin - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Bolanos Pitches Past RoughRiders - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Naturals Even Series as Kennedy Picks up Win 1,000 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Burke's Impressive Outing Comes up Short against Amarillo - Frisco RoughRiders
- Tulsa Falls to Northwest Arkansas - Tulsa Drillers
- Sod Poodles' Andres Munoz Receives First Call-Up by San Diego Padres - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Hooks Win MiLB's June 'Promo of the Month' Award - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Hooks Hold in Series Opener - Corpus Christi Hooks
- RockHounds Rally Comes up Short - Midland RockHounds
- Cardinals Top Travs 6-4 in Opener - Springfield Cardinals
- Soddies Set Tone Early in Series Opener - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Cardinals Bleed Red Blood Drive Starts Monday: 2 Free Ticket Vouchers for Donors
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Springfield Selected as St. Louis Cardinals Practice Squad Location
- $1 Million Cardinals Care Relief Fund Now Able to Assist Springfield Seasonal & Gameday Employees
- It's Your Last Day to #FlyTogether for Frontline Workers