Bolanos Pitches Past RoughRiders
Frisco, Texas - The Amarillo Sod Poodles never looked back after a three-run opening frame on Friday night at Dr. Pepper Ballpark, cruising to 5-2 win behind a terrific pitching performance from righty Ronald Bolaños.
With the win, the Sod Poodles improved to 45-45 overall and 11-11 in the season's second half. It's the first time that Amarillo has claimed a .500 record since June 17, when they won the Texas League South's first half title with an even 34-34 record.
Bolaños, who replaced starter Adrian Morejon after two perfect frames, tossed seven innings of two-run ball. He struck out seven batters while allowing just three hits.
In the first, Frisco starter Brock Burke walked Rodrigo Orozco to begin the game and then Ivan Castillo singled. After a walk to Edward Olivares to load the bases, Owen Miller brought in the game's first tally with a fielder's choice.
Amarillo then plated two more in the first inning on Luis Torrens' RBI double and a sac fly from Hudson Potts to make it a 3-0 advantage.
In Bolaños opening frame of relief, he allowed a run on a run-scoring groundout from Leody Taveras as Frisco pulled to within 3-1.
The Sod Poodles got another run in the seventh. After a one-out single by Orozco, who had three hits, righty Demarcus Evans replaced Frisco reliever Rafael Montero and surrendered an RBI single to Olivares. The Soddies led 4-1.
Frisco secured another run against Bolaños with a sac fly in the seventh. Amarillo answered by scratching out a run off righty Yoel Espinal in the top of the ninth to make it a 5-2 lead.
Bolaños, who at one point in the outing retired eight straight hitters, polished off his victory with perfect frames in the eighth and ninth innings.
The Sod Poodles and RoughRiders continue their four-game series on Saturday night with a 7:05 p.m. first pitch. Left-hander MacKenzie Gore makes his Texas League debut for the Sod Poodles while the RoughRiders send right-hander Collin Wiles to the mound.
The game is aired on 940 AM KIXZ and via streaming platforms with Sam Levitt on the play-by-play call. Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. The game is also streamed on MiLB TV.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Bukauskas Bullish in the Permian Basin - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Bolanos Pitches Past RoughRiders - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Naturals Even Series as Kennedy Picks up Win 1,000 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Burke's Impressive Outing Comes up Short against Amarillo - Frisco RoughRiders
- Tulsa Falls to Northwest Arkansas - Tulsa Drillers
- Sod Poodles' Andres Munoz Receives First Call-Up by San Diego Padres - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Hooks Win MiLB's June 'Promo of the Month' Award - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Hooks Hold in Series Opener - Corpus Christi Hooks
- RockHounds Rally Comes up Short - Midland RockHounds
- Cardinals Top Travs 6-4 in Opener - Springfield Cardinals
- Soddies Set Tone Early in Series Opener - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Amarillo Sod Poodles Stories
- Minor League Baseball Season Shelved, Texas Collegiate League Season Opens Tonight
- Hodgetown to Host Two 2020 Texas Collegiate League Baseball Teams
- Sod Poodles to Open Hodgetown's Bar 352 Saturday, June 13
- Sod Poodles to Host Father's Day Catch on the Field at Hodgetown
- Texas League's 2020 All-Star Game Canceled, Scheduled to Take Place in Amarillo in 2021