Capuano to Rehab With Isotopes
Los Angeles Dodgers left-handed pitcher Chris Capuano joins the Albuquerque Isotopes today, June 14, as a part of his Major League rehabilitation assignment. He is scheduled to start tonight's game for the Isotopes. Shortstop Justin Sellers returns to the Isotopes today after being recalled by the Los Angeles Dodgers on June 10. In a corresponding move, infielder Ozzie Martinez will return to Double-A Chattanooga.
Capuano was placed on the disabled by the Dodgers with a left shoulder latissimus strain retroactive to May 30. This will be his first rehab assignment since landing on the disabled list for the second time this season. The southpaw also made a rehab start with the Isotopes on May 1, also against the Memphis Redbirds, while recovering from a strained left calf. In eight games (six starts) with the Dodgers this season, the lefty is 1-4 with a 5.45 ERA (20 ER/ 33.0 IP) and 24 strikeouts.
The Duke Blue Devil was originally drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the eighth round of the 1999 First-Year Player Draft. Capuano holds a career 70-80 record with a 4.31 ERA (572 ER/1195.0 IP) over nine seasons in the Majors with four teams. The 6-foot-3 lefty was signed by the Dodgers as a free agent on December 2, 2011. In his first season with the Los Angeles last year, the 34-year-old hurler posted a 12-12 record with a 3.72 ERA (82ER/198.1 IP) in 33 starts.
Sellers rejoined the Dodgers for his second stint in Los Angeles this season on June 10, after beginning the year on the Dodgers' Opening Day roster. He had just one at bat with the Dodgers during his most recent call-up and was optioned the next day. The 27-year-old infielder hit .337 (31-for-92) with 11 doubles, one home run and 17 RBI in 24 games at Triple-A Albuquerque this season after being optioned for the first time on May 8 by Los Angeles. In 27 games with the Dodgers this year, Sellers batted .188 with a home run and two RBI.
Martinez rejoined Albuquerque on June 10 after being sent to Double-A Chattanooga on May 16. In two stints with the Isotopes this season, the 25-year-old has hit .233 (10-for-43) with four doubles, a triple and four RBI in 13 games. In 19 games with Chattanooga this year, the infielder holds a .271 batting average (16-for-59) with three doubles and a home run. The Puerto Rico native joined the Dodgers organization on July 10, 2012 for cash considerations from the Chicago White Sox.
The Isotopes return home tonight to open a four-game series against the Memphis Redbirds with first pitch is at 7:05 pm from Isotopes Park. Listen to all the action on 610 AM "The Sports Animal" with Josh Suchon on the call.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2013
- Redbirds Offense Goes Cold in 7-2 Loss in Albuquerque - Memphis Redbirds
- Zephyrs Take Down Nashville 6-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Defeats RedHawks, 11-2, in Series Opener - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Drop Series Opener against New Orleans, 6-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Raley Returns to I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Capuano to Rehab With Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Cats Return Home For Four Game Series - Sacramento River Cats
- RedHawks vs. Express - Game Notes - June 14, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Cubs for Extra Innings, But Fall in 12 - Iowa Cubs
- Reno Splits Series with Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Sacramento Drops Series Finale to Reno, 3-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Perez Lifts RedHawks to 9-8 Win in 12th Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Heston Twirls First Career Shutout in Grizzlies' 2-0 Win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Fresno blanks Tucson - Tucson Padres
- Isotopes Outlast Express in Extras - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox Hold off Bees in the Ninth to Win, 5-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Express Falls to Isotopes 9-4 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Albuquerque Isotopes Stories
- Isotopes to Become "Mariachis De Nuevo Mexico" for Four Games in 2018
- Isotopes Unveil 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Individual Game Tickets on Sale Next Friday
- Isotopes, Cumulus Media to Hold "Pack the Van" Clothing Caravan
- Isotopes 16th Annual Job Fair a Great Success