Capitols Acquire Smith and Future Considerations from Sioux City
Middleton, WI - The Madison Capitols have made a trade with the Sioux City Musketeers in the early hours of the trade deadline.
Madison obtained defenseman Brady Smith from Sioux City, along with a 2019 Phase II 7th round pick and a player to be named later. In exchange for Smith and draft pick, the Capitols have sent Josh Boyer to the Musketeers to finish out the season.
"Getting towards the end of the season, you have to make the tough decisions," says head coach Garrett Suter. "We loved having Josh on our team. He was a leader both on and off the ice. While we're still pushing for the playoffs, Smith gives us the ability to help a depleted defensive core, as well as have a guy we can rely on for next year as well."
The Capitols have been playing with virtually five defensemen for the past two weeks due to injuries and illnesses, and it got worse as Kalle Eriksson was knocked out of the game on Saturday against Muskegon.
The 2000 birth year, standing at 5-foot-8, 169-pounds, Smith is in his 3rd season playing in the USHL, accumulating 22 points (7-15-22) over 120 games. He began his career with two seasons with Bloomington/Central Illinois before finding his way to Sioux City this season. Following Smith's great start to the season, he made the commitment to play collegiate hockey for Colorado College in the coming years.
The Capitols return to action this weekend as they take on Cole Caufield and Team USA on Friday and Saturday at 7:05pm. Come out on Friday as it's another $1 beer night at Bob Suter's Capitol Ice Arena.
Don't miss out on any of the action this season as the Capitols embark on their 5th season in the USHL. Ticket packages, suites, and group outing are available now at www.madcapshockey.com or by calling the front office at (608) 257-2277.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 25, 2019
- Stars Trade Britt, Klee to Sioux Falls, Receive Follmer, Shields, 2019 PII 1st, Future Considerations - Lincoln Stars
- Stampede Acquire Defensemen Britt & Klee from Lincoln - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Gamblers Trade Frisch & Herrman to Fargo - Green Bay Gamblers
- Frisch and Herrman Acquired from Gamblers - Fargo Force
- Force Acquire Frisch and Herrman; Trade Gurney and O'Reilly - Fargo Force
- Capitols Acquire Smith and Future Considerations from Sioux City - Madison Capitols
- Capitols Split Weekend Decision - Madison Capitols
- Sioux City Acquires Josh Boyer from Madison - Sioux City Musketeers
- USHL Players of the Week Named for Week 22 - USHL
- Sorensen Soars During High-Scoring Weekend - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Weekend Recap - Green Bay Gamblers
- 7,202 Teddy Bears Tossed - Green Bay Gamblers
- Former Hawk Montour Traded - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Capitols Stories
- Christian Berger Named to USHL All-Academic Team
- Capitols Select Two in Dispersal Draft
- Lucas Herrmann Announces Commitment to University of New Hampshire
- Capitols and Gamblers Team up to Raise Money for AJ Degenhardt & MS
- Bantle and Petrick Announce Collegiate Commitments