Bulls to hold first IL Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Friday
Durham, NC - The International League will hold the first International League Hall of Fame induction ceremony at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park on Friday, April 18th as the Bulls induct Hobart "Rabbit" Whitman. International League President Randy Mobley will be in attendance for the induction ceremony and will present Whitman's great grandson, Mr. Hal Messick, with the newly commissioned trophy, "The Curtain Call".
"We are really excited to be the first city to host an IL Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in over 40 years," Durham Bulls General Manager Mike Birling said, "This will be a great experience for the fans to be a part of league history."
Hobart "Rabbit" Whitman was a career Minor Leaguer who spent 11 of his 14 seasons in the IL. He played in seven different IL cities. Despite his impressive averages (peaking at .356 in 1924), he never led the League in hitting. The 5'9", 160-pound outfielder from Tobaccoville, NC may have been the most difficult man to strikeout in League history. Two separate years he struck out only three times - 1925 (514 at-bats) and 1928 (575 at-bats), and two times he fanned only five times in a season - 1927 (561 at-bats) and 1932 (628 at-bats).
Ticket's for Friday's game between the Bulls and visiting Columbus Clippers are available at www.durhambulls.com or by phone at (919) 956-BULL.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 15, 2008
- Braves and Wings split pair - Gwinnett Stripers
- Columbus drops Bulls in series opener - Durham Bulls
- Bats Win With Three Run Homer, 4-1 - Louisville Bats
- Tribe continues to sizzle; drops Pawtucket 3-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons' Mastny Recalled To Cleveland - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls, Rays Agree To Two-Year Extension Of PDC - Durham Bulls
- Tribe Introduces First-Ever Field Classic - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls to hold first IL Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Friday - Durham Bulls
- "The Curtain Call" Commissioned to Honor Hall of Famers - IL
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Durham Bulls Stories
- Halloween-Themed Fall Fan Fest to be Held October 27
- DBAP to Host Hurricane Fundraiser, Championship Celebration Saturday
- Durham Falls in Triple-A National Championship Game
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, September 18, 2018
- Bulls Repeat as Governors' Cup Champions