Buccaneers Blind Phantom; Win First Home Game 5-3
DES MOINES, IA - The Buccaneers came out with a vengeance tonight; five different Buccaneers would score in the 5-3 win over the Youngstown Phantoms at Buccaneer Arena.
The Buccaneers would score twice in the first period. Taylor Wolfe would score his first ever USHL goal at the 10:15 mark. Austin Coldwell scored on a powerplay at 18:39 to close out the first period. The Bucs outshot the Phantoms 15-6 in the first. The score at the end of the first was 2-0.
The second period would start with a spark as Yasin Cisse would score his first goal of the 2009 - 2010 season in his first regular season game. The goal would come just 18 seconds into the period. But Youngstown came alive as they rallied and scored three unanswered goals in just over three minutes; the first coming six seconds after Cisse's goal. Following the goals, the heat in Buccaneer Arena would rise as tempers grew to a boiling point. At the 13:49 mark, fists flew as Mitch Cain of the Buccaneers would drop his gloves against Richard Young of the Phantoms. Both would receive fighting penalties and game ejections. Neither team would score the rest of the period. Youngstown outshot the Bucs 14-9 in the second. The period came to a close with both teams tied at 3.
The Buccaneers would dominate the start of the third as Connor Brickley scored a powerplay goal at 2:52. The defense of both teams was strong; as neither team would put a puck between the pipes until the final seconds of the third. In an attempt to create an advantage, the Phantoms pulled their goalie but Buccaneer Ryan Walters was able to score on an empty net at the 19:58 mark of the period. Both teams had 11 shots on goal as the Buccaneers would seal the deal with a final score of 5-3.
Goalie Eric Mihalik would record the win, playing three strong periods of hockey and stopping 28 of 31 shots on goal.
Des Moines had a total of 35 shots on goal, went 2 for 7 on the powerplay and 33 minutes in penalties.
The Buccaneers are on the road tomorrow as they take on the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders. They return next weekend for their first back-to-back games; playing the Fargo Force on Friday October 23rd and the Lincoln Stars on Saturday, October 24th. Friday is the first ever Affordable Friday presented by Papa John's Pizza! Fan's can purchase four tickets for $36 and receive $1 hot dogs and $2 pizza all night long! Following the game is a free post game skate. Saturday is the first Miller Lite Buc Beer Night presented by LAZER 103.3 of the season; draws of Miller Lite will be $1 all night long.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 17, 2009
- Buccaneers Blind Phantom; Win First Home Game 5-3 - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Phantoms rally, but fall to Bucs - Youngstown Phantoms
- U.S. Nat'l U17 Team Falls Short at Indiana, 4-1 - U.S. National Team
- U.S. Nat'l U18 Team Tipped by Sioux City, 2-1 - U.S. National Team
- Countdown To Puck Drop: Phantoms At Des Moines - Youngstown Phantoms
- New Merchandise Options For Ice - Indiana Ice
- Storm Lose In OT To Fargo, 6-5 - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Des Moines Buccaneers Stories
- Goaltender Durham Commits to Brown University
- Gopher Commit & MN State Champion Forward Nevers Joins Bucs
- Bucs Acquire Gamblers Leading Scorer Perbix & Pick for Forward Meyer
- Two Bucs and One Affiliate Named to NHL Central Scouting's Midterm Rankings
- Des Moines Adds Forward Fafrak and Defenseman Starikov