Buccaneer Alex Chiasson Chosen for USHL Prospects/All-Star Game
Buccaneer Alex Chiasson has been slated to play in the 2009 USHL Prospects/All-Star Game, to be hosted by the Sioux Falls Stamepde on Wednesday, February 4, 2009.
He is the only Buccaneer on the East Division roster, which contains 20 players from the Indiana Ice, Green Bay Gamblers, Waterloo Black Hawks, Cedar Rapid Rough Riders and the Chicago Steel.
Chiasson, a native of Quebec, currently leads the Buccaneers in goals with 11 on the season. He's ranked third in point on the team, with 11 goals, 13 assists and 24 points. Earlier this season, he committed to Boston University, alongside teammate Yasin Cisse.
The teams were chosen by division, with one team representing the East Division and the other team representing the West Division. Each team will consist of 20 players - two goaltenders, six defensemen and 12 forwards.
"We think that we have a wonderful group of players selected to take part in this event," said USHL Executive Vice President Gino Gasparini. "Combine the talent pool with the fact that the Sioux Falls Stampede have been working diligently at making this memorable for all those involved and it should be a great couple of days for these young men and the USHL."
Players were chosen for the rosters by a vote of the league's coaches. Coaches are not allowed to vote for players that are on their rosters.
"Alex deserves to be on this team," said Des Moines Associate Head Coach Scott McConnell, "It's a great opportunity to represent Buccaneer hockey in front of a large audience. He's worked hard throughout the season and it has paid off in him being selected for the Prospects/All-Star game. We're proud of him, along with the rest of the players on our roster that were nominated. He should represent himself and the Buccaneer organization in a good manner."
There is at least one player from every team participating. Four teams - Cedar Rapids, Chicago, Indiana and Lincoln have five players playing in the game. Fargo and Omaha have four players apiece taking part. The host Sioux Falls Stampede will have three players in the game. The West Division will be the home team and will wear white sweaters.
"There is a deep talent pool in the USHL this year and we're excited to see those that were chosen as the best of the group take part," Gasparini said. "The last two years we have had good, hard-fought hockey games and the hope is that this group lives up to that and provides us with another great night of hockey."
Last season, the East Division All-Stars needed a shootout to get past the West Division 6-5 in the game played in Green Bay, Wis. Waterloo forward Nick Larson is the only player in this year's game that also played last season.
The coaches and game officials for the game will be announced in the coming days.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2009
- Five RoughRiders to Play in USHL Prospects/All-Star Game - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Indiana Downs Riders in Shootout - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Buccaneer Alex Chiasson Chosen for USHL Prospects/All-Star Game - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Three Stampede Players Named to USHL All-Star Game Roster - Sioux Falls Stampede
- USHL announces 2009 USHL Prospects/All-Star Game - USHL
- USHLTV now available on B2CableTV.com - USHL
- Waterloo Black Hawks Weekly - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Ice Acquires Omaha Defenseman McManus - Indiana Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Des Moines Buccaneers Stories
- Goaltender Durham Commits to Brown University
- Gopher Commit & MN State Champion Forward Nevers Joins Bucs
- Bucs Acquire Gamblers Leading Scorer Perbix & Pick for Forward Meyer
- Two Bucs and One Affiliate Named to NHL Central Scouting's Midterm Rankings
- Des Moines Adds Forward Fafrak and Defenseman Starikov