Boulders Hold Off New Jersey for 8-7 Victory; Playoff Magic Number Reduced to 7
A five-run fourth inning sparked the Rockland Boulders to an 8-7 victory over the New Jersey Jackals at Yogi Berra Stadium in Little Falls, NJ. With the Boulders defeating New Jersey on Wednesday, combined with Quebec's win over Ottawa, Rockland's Magic Number is now reduced to seven over the Champions and six over the Capitales with 11 games remaining. The Boulders have also moved to within three games of New Jersey for third place.
New Jersey drew first blood with a pair in the home first, but RBI singles by Collin Ferguson, Chase Harris and Katsuya Senoo, followed by a two-run hit from Matt Oberste gave the visitors a 5-2 advantage. A pair of unearned runs helped the Jackals trim the deficit, but Rockland opened an 8-4 cushion heading to the bottom of the seventh.
The hosts scored one in that frame and two in the eighth, but closer Robbie Gordon escaped a first-and-third, one out jam in the final inning to nail down the thrilling victory.
Zokan allowed two runs over 5.0 innings to earn the win, with Gordon securing his 12th save. Oberste and Ferguson each went 3-for-5 with a pair of RBI to key the 13-hit attack.
Rockland has now taken 2-of-3 from New Jersey with the series finale to be played tomorrow night. The Boulders then return home for a three-game set against the Trois-Rivieres Aigles starting Friday.
Images from this story
Matt Oberste of the Rockland Boulders
(Drew Wohl, Rockland Boulders)
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Boulders Hold off Late Rally by Jackals to Take Home Win - New Jersey Jackals
- Can-Am League Game Recaps - Can-Am
- Boulders Hold Off New Jersey for 8-7 Victory; Playoff Magic Number Reduced to 7 - Rockland Boulders
- NJ Jackals & Rolling Thunder Inc to Hold POW/MIA Chair of Honor Ceremony August 24 - New Jersey Jackals
- Aumont and Collymore Named Pitcher and Batter of the Week - Ottawa Champions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.