Boomers Rally to Dispatch Joliet
SCHAUMBURG, IL - The defending Frontier League champion Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, scored five unanswered runs to tally a 13th comeback win, downing the Joliet Slammers 5-3 to win the series and complete a 4-2 homestand.
The visitors scored an unearned run in the top of the second and built a 3-0 edge on a two-run homer from Danny Zardon in the third. Schaumburg starter Gunnar Kines, activated from injured reserve before the game, settled down, retiring the next 10 batters to allow the Boomers an opportunity to rally. Kenny Towns logged two-out RBI singles in the third and fifth to draw the Boomers within 3-2. Schaumburg grabbed control with three runs in the sixth. Dylan Jones led off with a single and Nick Oddo followed with a double. Josh Gardiner singled home the tying run while Jack Parenty bunted home to go-ahead tally. Ty Moore also lifted a sacrifice fly in the frame.
Kines finished with six innings of work to win his second consecutive quality start. The lefty struck out eight. Chris Hall and Ivan Vieitez bridged the gap to Jake Joyce, who struck out the side in the ninth to nail his eighth save. Towns finished with three hits as the Boomers tallied 10. Oddo and Jones posted two apiece.
The Boomers (22-19) head on the road for three games this weekend against the Washington Wild Things. RHP Keaton Conner (0-0, 1.50) takes the ball in the opener Friday night at 6:05 p.m. against RHP Chase Cunningham (2-2, 5.07). Schaumburg returns home to celebrate Independence Day on July 3 with the first of back-to-back nights of fireworks on a $1 Hot Dog Tuesday. Make the Boomers part of your plans this summer by calling (847) 461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 28, 2018
- Crushers Rally Late To Beat Beach Bums - Lake Erie Crushers
- Normal Falls in Series Fianle - Normal CornBelters
- Grizzlies Lose Lead, Series - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Walk-Off on Grizzlies for Second Straight Night to Take Series - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Drop Series Finale in Extra Innings - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Rascals Take Finale Behind Impressive Effort - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Drop Series Finale to Windy City 9-1 - Washington Wild Things
- ThunderBolts Take Series from Washington - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Series Finale vs Florence Postponed - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Rally to Dispatch Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- Landwehr Is Light Outs in Blowout of Rascals - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Swept in Twin Bill with Southern Illinois - Florence Freedom
- Tempers Flare as Belters Take Game 2 over Rascals - River City Rascals
- Miners Earn Dramatic Doubleheader Sweep over Freedom - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.