BlueClaws Sweep SAL Weekly Honors
The BlueClaws swept South Atlantic League Player/Pitcher of the Week Awards for the week ending July 1st. C Rodolfo Duran was named Player of the Week and RHP Spencer Howard was named Pitcher of the Week.
Duran, 20, went 9-14 with a double, three home runs, and four RBIs. The catcher from the Dominican Republic leads the BlueClaws with 11 home runs and is hitting .390 since May 27th with nine of his 11 home runs. Duran homered on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, becoming just the fourth BlueClaw (Darick Hall in 2017, Jose Pujols twice in 2016, and Jim Murphy in 2011) to homer in three straight games over the last 10 years.
Howard, 21, threw six scoreless innings with 10 strikeouts in Friday's win over Hagerstown. The right-hander from Cal-Poly, drafted in the second round by the Phillies last year, set a new season high with his 10 strikeouts and earned his fourth win of the year.
Duran follows Jhailyn Ortiz (week ending June 10th) as BlueClaws to be named SAL Player of the Week this year. Howard, who was named Pitcher of the Week in April, joins David Parkinson (May 27 and June 17) and Will Stewart(June 3) as BlueClaws to win Pitcher of the Week this year.
The BlueClaws have won seven of their first 10 games in the second half and are 33-16 in their last 49 games. Winners of the SAL Northern Division First-Half title, the BlueClaws will be back in the post-season for the fifth time in franchise history this coming September.
The BlueClaws are the Jersey Shore's top stop for affordable, family fun.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 2, 2018
- Five Home Runs; 16 Hits; Lose by Eight - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Match Two Franchise Records in 16-8 Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Three, Four-Run Innings Propel Legends over Tourists - Lexington Legends
- Marathon Game Ends with Columbia Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Limit Hoppers to 3 Hits - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Garcia's Gem Leads RiverDogs to Third Straight Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Defeated 6-2 by RiverDogs on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Tetreault K's Nine in Suns 5-3 Win on Monday - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Claws Stun 'Birds in Ninth - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Held to Season-Low Two Hits in 5-3 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Walk-Off Win: Antequera Caps Four-Run BlueClaws Ninth - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Pitching Duel Goes to Kannapolis, 2-1 - Rome Braves
- Crawdads Homer Twice in 5-1 Victory over Greensboro - Hickory Crawdads
- RiverDogs Return to Start Four-Day, Fourth of July Celebration - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Sweep SAL Weekly Honors - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 2 at Augusta (Game 78) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- BlueClaws Charities Announces 2018 Grant Recipients
- Claws Fall 2-1 as Legends Take SAL Title
- Claws Fall 6-3 on Thursday as Legends Take 2-1 Series Lead
- Claws Fall 5-2; Legends Level Series at 1-1
- Comeback Claws Come from Five Down in Ninth, Win Game One 6-5 at Lexington