Walk-Off Win: Antequera Caps Four-Run BlueClaws Ninth
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Jose Antequera's two-run single in the bottom of the ninth capped a four-run inning for the BlueClaws who rallied to top Delmarva 4-3 on Monday night at FirstEnergy Park for their fourth walk-off win of the season.
Antequera, who homered on Sunday, drove in Matt Vierling and Daniel Brito for the win with a single-off Timothy Naughton (1-1). Naughton came on to face Vierling and walked him and then walked Coby Fitch to set up Antequera.
The BlueClaws (8-3/48-31) have now taken two of three against Delmarva (6-6/41-38) in their current four-game series.
Delmarva starter Cameron Bishop went seven scoreless for Delmarva but did not get a decision. He struck out five, allowed four hits, and did not walk a batter.
Delmarva got three runs in a scoreless game in the fifth, taking the lead on an RBI single by Max Hogan. Kirvin Mosequit and Zach Jarrett added RBI singles as well for the Shorebirds, who had five hits in the frame off Lakewood starter David Parkinson.
Parkinson had allowed one run in 42 innings before allowing three in the fifth. He gave up three runs in six innings while striking out three with one walk.
Luis Cedeno threw two scoreless for Lakewood while Connor Brogdon threw a scoreless ninth and earned the win, improving to 3-2 on the year.
Jake Scheiner and Matt Vierling had two hits for the BlueClaws. Vierling, the Phillies fifth round pick this year from Notre Dame, was playing in his first game as a BlueClaw.
The teams finish their series on Tuesday night at 7:05 pm. LHP Will Stewart (6-0) starts for the BlueClaws opposite RHP Brenan Hanifee (7-3).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 2, 2018
- Five Home Runs; 16 Hits; Lose by Eight - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Match Two Franchise Records in 16-8 Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Three, Four-Run Innings Propel Legends over Tourists - Lexington Legends
- Marathon Game Ends with Columbia Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Limit Hoppers to 3 Hits - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Garcia's Gem Leads RiverDogs to Third Straight Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Defeated 6-2 by RiverDogs on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Tetreault K's Nine in Suns 5-3 Win on Monday - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Claws Stun 'Birds in Ninth - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Held to Season-Low Two Hits in 5-3 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Walk-Off Win: Antequera Caps Four-Run BlueClaws Ninth - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Pitching Duel Goes to Kannapolis, 2-1 - Rome Braves
- Crawdads Homer Twice in 5-1 Victory over Greensboro - Hickory Crawdads
- RiverDogs Return to Start Four-Day, Fourth of July Celebration - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Sweep SAL Weekly Honors - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 2 at Augusta (Game 78) - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- BlueClaws Charities Announces 2018 Grant Recipients
- Claws Fall 2-1 as Legends Take SAL Title
- Claws Fall 6-3 on Thursday as Legends Take 2-1 Series Lead
- Claws Fall 5-2; Legends Level Series at 1-1
- Comeback Claws Come from Five Down in Ninth, Win Game One 6-5 at Lexington