Blazers and Military Friends Foundation "Heroes Night" to Honor Local Fallen Hero
BOSTON - The Boston Blazers, Boston's own professional lacrosse team, joins with the Military Friends Foundation, a non-profit serving Massachusetts National Guard, Reserve, and Gold Star Families, to honor the memory of First Lieutenant Scott Milley on Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 7:00 pm at the TD Garden.
A 2005 graduate of Lincoln-Sudbury High School, Lt. Milley was an avid sports fan and talented athlete who played key roles on both his hockey and lacrosse teams, but his top priority was to serve to his country. After graduating with honors from the University of New Hampshire, he became a U.S. Army Ranger. Lt. Milley had just begun his tour of duty in Afghanistan when he was killed after his platoon came under attack last November.
In honor of Lt. Milley, the Boston Blazers will donate $5 from each "Heroes Night" ticket sold in advance to Military Friends programs for Massachusetts' fallen heroes and other local military families. "As an Iraq veteran, I want to thank the Boston Blazers for hosting a night that will directly support our Massachusetts military community. We are grateful to have this opportunity to honor the service and sacrifice of Lt. Milley in a venue that we understand he would have loved so much," said Sergeant Major Jim Kelly (Ret.), President of the Military Friends Foundation.
"The Military Friends Foundation was one of the first organizations on our doorstep to offer us support," said Scott's father Steve Milley. "They helped bring our whole community together by donating thousands of flags that our friends, neighbors and strangers held to welcome Scott home one last time."
As part of "Heroes Night," the Blazers will dedicate the remaining part of the season to Lt. Milley. Each player will wear a special patch on their helmets designed by the Milley family to commemorate their son. "The Blazers organization is honored to dedicate our 2011 season to Lt. Scott Milley whose sacrifice allows us all to live in freedom. Scott was an avid lacrosse player in high school and we will play our sport in tribute and respect to him each time we take the turf this season," said Doug Reffue, Blazers President and General Manager. Tickets for the February 12th "Heroes Night" in memory of Lt. Milley can be purchased at www.blazerslacrosse.com/groups and click on the image title "HEROES NIGHT".
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from February 9, 2011
- Washington Stealth All-Access Lineup for February 10 - Washington Stealth
- Wings Look To Avenge Early Season Loss To Bandits - Philadelphia Wings
- Greer and Mydske Join Merrill and Keenan on Team Canada - Edmonton Rush
- Minnesota Swarm Acquire Forward Jamie Shewchuk - Minnesota Swarm
- Blazers and Military Friends Foundation "Heroes Night" to Honor Local Fallen Hero - Boston Blazers
- Mammoth Acquires Campeau, Pick in Exchange for Shewchuk - Colorado Mammoth
- Washington Stealth Goaltender Richards Earns NLL Weekly Award - Washington Stealth
- Carnegie Rounds out Defence for Team Canada - Calgary Roughnecks
- Amerks and Knighthawks Trim TV Schedule for Rest of Season - Rochester Knighthawks
- Minnesota Swarm Gets Another Shot at Rochester this Saturday - Minnesota Swarm
- Washington Lacrosse Community Unites to Honor Tyler Lucas - Washington Stealth
- Three Knighthawks Honored with NLL Weekly Awards - Rochester Knighthawks
- Knighthawks' Forward Shawn Evans Named Player Of The Week - NLL
- Boston's Dan Dawson Named Offensive Player of the Week - Boston Blazers
- Knighthawks to Induct Hasen and Hollenbeck into Hall of Fame - Rochester Knighthawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals