Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (7:05 p.m.)
Buffalo Bisons (50-61, 4th (-18.5), North) vs. Gwinnett Stripers (53-58, 3rd (-9.0), South)
Wednesday, August 8th, 2018 (7:05 p.m.) - Coca-Cola Field
RHP Jacob Waguespack (3-6, 5.13) vs. RHP Kyle Wright (1-0, 3.18)
Radio: ESPN 1520 AM, Bisons.com
This evening, the Bisons and the Gwinnett Stripers will play for the second time this season as part of a three game series at Coca-Cola Field. The Herd will then play the Toledo Mud Hens for a three game series August 10-12 to close out their second-last home stand of the season. Buffalo then travels to Charlotte for a three game series 8/13- 8/15 before visiting Gwinnett 8/16- 8/19 for a four-game series to conclude a seven-game road trip.
Last Game: BUF 0, GWN 2
In last night's loss the Herd struggled to string together hits to produce runs. RHP Sean Reid-Foley pitched 5.0IP, giving up 4H, 2R/ER, 2BB, while striking out eight. He was saddled with his fourth loss of the season and his first back-to-back losses. 3B Vladimir Guerrero Jr. went 3-4 leading the offense for the Herd. INF Rowdy Tellez and Tim Lopes each collected 2 hits to out hit their opponent 9-6 in yesterday's loss.
The Bisons and Stripers play only seven times this season. The three-game series on 8/7- 8/9 marks the first meeting of the year. In 2017, Buffalo went 2-4 against Gwinnett. The Herd is looking for the first series win within the last five years against the Stripers.
Today's Starter: RHP Jacob Waguespack
RHP Jacob Waguespack is taking the mound for the second time as a Bison, and looking for his first win with the Herd. The righty's last appearance came on 8/2 vLHV taking the loss despite striking out 12 in his Bisons debut (6.1IP, 8H, 4R/ER, BB, 12SO). Waguespack was acquired on 7/31 from the Philadelphia Phillies for LHP Aaron Loup.
INF Tim Lopes went 2-4 in yesterday's lost against Gwinnett. The infielder recorded his 19th double of the season. Lopes is hitting .353 over his last 5 games going 6-17 at the plate with 2 home runs and 4 RBIs.
Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
3B Vladimir Guerrero Jr. has been a force to be reckoned with since joining the Bisons on July 31st. In his seven games the 19 year old has 7 hits with one double and batting .389 overall. Guerrero Jr. has collected 8 walks earning him a .556 on base percentage. Last night the third baseman went 3-4 in the loss.
Tuesday's loss marked the twelfth time this season the Bisons out hit their opponent but suffered the loss...Sunday's win marks only the third time this season the Herd has come back in the second half of the game to win...The ninth inning is the second-lowest runs scored total by the Bisons with 31 behind the eighth inning where the Bison's have scored 29 runs through the whole season.
On Monday the Toronto Blue Jays announced that INF/OF Darnell Sweeney had accepted assignment and re-joined the Bisons. Also, INF Richard Urena was recalled by the Blue Jays.
Blue Jays Update
Toronto (51-61) lost the first game of the three game series to the Red Sox last night 10-7. The Blue Jays offense collected a combined 13 hits, three of which were home runs. RHP Marcus Stroman went 7.0 innings giving up 2H, R/0ER, 3BB, 4 SO. Toronto looks to bounce back with RHP Mike Hauschild pitching against LHP Brian Johnson at 7:07 at Rogers Centre. After the Red Sox series the Jays will face Tampa for a 3 game series on 8/10-8/12.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 8, 2018
- Guerrero Jr. Powers Bisons Past Stripers Wednesday - Gwinnett Stripers
- Vlad Guerrero Jr. Notches First Triple-A Homer in Bisons 6-1 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Mud Hens Start Strong, But Fall to Red Wings - Toledo Mud Hens
- Late Rally Pushes Bats to Stunning Comeback Win - Louisville Bats
- Vargas Homer Rallies Wings to Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Sardinas Ends Scoreless Game with Walk-off Homer - Norfolk Tides
- Phillips Records Four Hits in 6-5 Loss to Louisville - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tides's Sardinas Breaks up Scoreless Pitchers' Duel with Walk-off Shot - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Chiefs and Knights Suspended in the Fourth, Game to be Completed as Doubleheader Thursday - Syracuse Mets
- Knights and Chiefs Suspended on Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Indy Walks off in Game Two - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pigs Don't Fly: Indians Win in Walk-Off Fashion over Lehigh Valley - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes: July 8 - Louisville Bats
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Indy Walks off in Game Two - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Strike out Cancer Night Is Next Wednesday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (63-51) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (70-44) - Indianapolis Indians
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Clippers Sweep Doubleheader to Kick off Series in Durham - Columbus Clippers
- Indians Ride Bi-Cycle to Rout over IronPigs - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Bisons GM Anthony Sprague on Team's Temporary Relocation to Trenton
- Bisons to begin season in Trenton, NJ
- Blue Jays Reassign 10 to Minor League Camp
- MLB to Experiment with Bigger Bases at Triple-A During 2021 Season
- Blue Jays Name Casey Candaele Buffalo Bisons Manager