Biscuits Hold M-Braves to Two Hits and 16 Strikeouts in Win
PEARL, MIS. - The Montgomery Biscuits (69-60/41-26) got their revenge against the Mississippi Braves (61-73/32-33), 4-1, Friday night at Trustmark Stadium. The Biscuits rebounded after a two-hit yesterday and held the M-Braves to just two hits as they recorded their first win of the series.
In the top of the first, M-Braves starter Alan Rangel (5-8) started well as he quickly retired the Biscuits and allowed just a single to lead off Kameron Misner. In the bottom of the fist Joe LaSorsa retired the M-Braves one-two-three with a pair of strikeouts. Through his three innings on the mound, LaSorsa allowed just one hit, no runs, and struck out five.
The Biscuits threatened to put runs on the board in the third and fifth innings as they managed to get runners on base. Infielder Alejandro Pie went two for two on steal attempts in the game, but no Biscuits were able to bring him home as the score stayed at zero through the first five innings.
The M-Braves started the top of the sixth with A.J Puckett replacing Rangel on the mound. Puckett immediately surrendered an RBI-triple from catcher Blake Hunt to drive in outfielder Niko Hulsizer and put the Biscuits up 1-0. After walking right fielder Diego Infante, second baseman Tyler Frank connected on an RBI-single to put the Biscuits up 2-0. Frank then stole second to make it three stolen bases for the Biscuits in the night.
In the top of the seventh, Misner doubled to start off the inning. A passed ball allowed Misner to advance to third and designated hitter Kyle Manzardo was able to bring him home with a sac fly that grew the Biscuit lead to 3-0.
In the bottom of the eighth Biscuits reliever Andrew Gross replaced Strong. After a quick strikeout, M-Braves second baseman Cody Milligan doubled to get in scoring position. Right fielder Andrew Moritz grounded out but was able to score Milligan in the process to finally put the Braves on the board as the lead was cut to 3-1.
Kyle Wilcox was the arm on the mound to start the top of the ninth. He quickly recorded two outs as he struck out Misner and Alika Williams, However, Manzardo singled to get on base and Wilcox walked Evan Edwards to put two on. After a mound visit Hulsizer connected for an RBI-single to make it 4-1 and put the nail in the coffin.
Gross remained in the game for the Biscuits and secured his third save of the season as the Biscuits recorded their first win of the series. The Biscuits bullpen managed to strikeout the M-Braves 16 times, setting a record for most strikeouts in a nine-inning game for the season.
The Biscuits will try to even the series when Mason Montgomery faces Nolan Kingham Saturday at 6:35 PM CT.
The Biscuits return to Riverwalk Stadium for Game 1 of the 2022 South Division Championship Series against the Pensacola Blue Wahoos on Tuesday, September 20th at 6:35 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from September 16, 2022
- Lookouts Outlast Smokies in 13-Inning Marathon, 13-12 - Tennessee Smokies
- Warren's Double Enough in Biloxi's Eighth Straight Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits Hold M-Braves to Two Hits and 16 Strikeouts in Win - Montgomery Biscuits
- Trash Pandas Secure 80th Win with 2-1 Victory - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- Rangel Posts Strong Start in M-Braves' 4-1 Loss to Biscuits - Mississippi Braves
- Pérez Returns in 2-1 Loss to Shuckers - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Friday, September 16 vs. Montgomery Biscuits: 6:35 PM: Trustmark Park - Mississippi Braves
- M-Braves Close 2022 with Promotion-Packed Weekend - Mississippi Braves
- Biloxi Blanks Blue Wahoos for Seventh Consecutive Victory - Biloxi Shuckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montgomery Biscuits Stories
- Pensacola Blanks and Eliminates Montgomery from Playoffs
- Pensacola Scores Six Unanswered in Comeback to Tie Series
- Biscuits Deliver First Blow in Game One, 5-2
- Biscuits Blank M-Braves, Hold Them to Two Hits
- Biscuits Hold M-Braves to Two Hits and 16 Strikeouts in Win