Birthday Boy Guzman Comes Through in 8th; Claws Win 2-1 on Saturday
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Jonathan Guzman celebrated his 20th birthday in style with an RBI single to right in the bottom of the eighth inning as the BlueClaws topped Delmarva 2-1 on Saturday night at FirstEnergy Park.
The BlueClaws (24-29/53-70) have taken two of the first three from Delmarva (34-20/82-41) including a 3-2 walk-off win on Thursday night.
Guzman's hit came off Matt De La Rosa (4-2) with two outs and brought home Carlos De La Cruz after two had reached on walks earlier in the inning.
Manuel Silva (5-5) gave up one unearned run over four innings and retired the last eight hitters he faced to earn the win. He escaped a bases-loaded, one-out jam in the seventh with a pair of strikeouts.
Lakewood opened the scoring in the bottom of the second on a home run by Abrahan Gutierrez. It was the fourth home run of the season for the catcher, all of which have come in the second half. Delmarva tied the game on an unearned run in the sixth inning.
BlueClaws starter Josh Hendrickson threw five scoreless innings, allowing just two hits. The left-hander from Australia was a 38th round pick this year out of the University of San Diego. He's allowed just one run in 8.1 innings over his first two games with the BlueClaws.
Guzman had two hits including the game-winning RBI single in the victory.
The teams finish their four-game series on Sunday at 1:05 pm. RHP Tom Sutera will start for Lakewood opposite RHP Hector Guance.
Images from this story
Jonathan Guzman of the Lakewood BlueClaws
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short for Kannapolis in 4-3 Loss - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Grasshoppers Shutout Jackets 7-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Greenville Falls to Hickory on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Squander Wilson's Dandy in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Blue Ridge Woes, RiverDogs Walked off on to Drop Third Straight - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rangel, Venter Lead Rome to 4-0 Win over Columbia - Rome Braves
- MacIver Provides the Magic at McCormick Field - Asheville Tourists
- Birthday Boy Guzman Comes Through in 8th; Claws Win 2-1 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Martin Tosses Six Scoreless in Debut Despite Loss - West Virginia Power
- Acosta Does It Again, But Fireflies Fall - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Rise Late to Upend Power 4-1 - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 17 vs. Rome (Game 121) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 17) - West Virginia Power
- Medina Called up to High-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Tie Grand Slam Record - Asheville Tourists
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Beat Oddball Defense to Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Braves fall five games back in division race - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.