Suns Rise Late to Upend Power 4-1
CHARLESTON, WV - Hagerstown beat up on the West Virginia Power bullpen to win 4-1 at Appalachian Power Park Saturday evening.
With Hagerstown (27-28, 57-68) trailing 1-0 with two outs in the seventh inning, Phil Caulfield bounded a ball off the right field wall to bring Israel Pineda, who had reached on an error, home from second to tie the game.
The offense did not quit there. Justin Connell led-off the ninth with a base knock up the middle off reliever Brendan McGuigan (BS, L 0-1). Kyle Marinconz reached on an error from the second baseman Austin Shenton to keep the inning alive with two away and to move Connell to third base. Cole Daily then ripped a single to left to plate Connell and give Hagerstown the lead 2-1.
Daily's hit extended his hitting streak to a season-long seven games. He is 10-for-27 (.370) during that stretch.
After that, Caulfield iced the game, lacing a two-run single to left center to put Hagerstown up 4-1.
Tomas Alastre started the game strongly, allowing just one run off a Shenton inside-the-park homer in the fourth in his 5.2 innings of work. He earned the no decision after Alex Troop (W, 1-1) entered the 1-0 game. Troop spun his way through 3.1 one-hit innings to earn the win.
Hagerstown finishes their series with the West Virginia Power at Appalachian Power Park tomorrow at 2:05 p.m. RHP Jake Irvin (6-7, 4.04 ERA) gets the nod for the Suns, while RHP Ryne Inman (8-7, 4.59 ERA) toes the rubber for West Virginia
The Suns return home for a six-game homestand August 20. During the stretch they'll face the Greenville Drive and the Delmarva Shorebirds and will host the final Fireworks night of the season Friday, August 23. The following day, Hagerstown will give away a Mike Mussina bobblehead to the first 1,000 fans in the gates. Gates open at 5:00 p.m. The homestand will also feature Thirsty Thursday and Sunday Funday.
Images from this story
Phil Caulfield drove in three runs in the Hagerstown Suns 4-1 win
(Abby Choi/Hagerstown Suns Staff)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short for Kannapolis in 4-3 Loss - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Grasshoppers Shutout Jackets 7-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Greenville Falls to Hickory on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Squander Wilson's Dandy in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Blue Ridge Woes, RiverDogs Walked off on to Drop Third Straight - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rangel, Venter Lead Rome to 4-0 Win over Columbia - Rome Braves
- MacIver Provides the Magic at McCormick Field - Asheville Tourists
- Birthday Boy Guzman Comes Through in 8th; Claws Win 2-1 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Martin Tosses Six Scoreless in Debut Despite Loss - West Virginia Power
- Acosta Does It Again, But Fireflies Fall - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Rise Late to Upend Power 4-1 - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 17 vs. Rome (Game 121) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 17) - West Virginia Power
- Medina Called up to High-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Tie Grand Slam Record - Asheville Tourists
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Beat Oddball Defense to Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Braves fall five games back in division race - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.