'Birds Squander Wilson's Dandy in Lakewood
LAKEWOOD, NJ - The Delmarva Shorebirds couldn't muster the offense to back Ryan Wilson's strong start, falling late to the Lakewood BlueClaws 2-1 on Saturday night at FirstEnergy Park.
With the game tied 1-1 in the bottom of the eighth, the BlueClaws (24-29, 53-70) worked a couple walks against Shorebirds (34-20, 82-41) reliever Matt De La Rosa. With two on and two out, Jonathan Guzman rolled the first pitch through the right side for a single, scoring Carlos De La Cruz to put Lakewood on top 2-1.
Manuel Silva (5-5) picked up the relief win for the BlueClaws, going four innings and allowing one unearned run on one hit with two walks and four strikeouts. De La Rosa (4-2) took the loss for the Shorebirds, giving up a run on one hit and three walks in two frames.
Lakewood jumped in front early as Abrahan Gutierrez belted a solo home run in the second inning, putting the BlueClaws up 1-0. That was the only blemish against Wilson, who gave up the lone run on three hits in six innings. Wilson walked none and tied a career high with 11 strikeouts, the fourth time this season a Delmarva starter fanned 11.
BlueClaws starter Josh Hendrickson kept the Shorebirds at bay over five scoreless innings, giving up just three hits with two walks and four strikeouts. Delmarva loaded the bases in the fourth on two walks and a single, but Hendrickson got Ryne Ogren to fly out to right to make it through unscathed.
The Shorebirds got a run-scoring rally together with two out in the sixth. Shayne Fontana drew a walk and promptly stole second base. Alexis Torres came up next, and with Fontana taking off for third Torres grounded one toward the left side hole for an infield hit. Guzman's throw to try and get Torres at first sailed wide of the bag, allowing Fontana to score and tie it at 1-1.
Delmarva had a chance to leap in front in the seventh. Ogren walked, then two batters later Edison Lantigua got hit by a pitch, and Doran Turchin walked to load the bases with one out. Silva settled down from there, though, striking out Jean Carlos Encarnacion and Adam Hall in succession to quell Delmarva's last true rally. The Shorebirds went down in order in the eighth and ninth after the BlueClaws' winning rally.
Hall and Torres each went 2-for-4 to extend long hitting streaks for the Shorebirds. Hall has now hit safely in 10 straight games, while Torres stretched his hitting streak to nine.
Guzman finished 2-for-4 with a double and the game-winning RBI at the top of the BlueClaws lineup.
The Shorebirds go for the series split against the BlueClaws on Sunday afternoon. Hector Guance (8-5, 4.15) is slated to start for Delmarva against Lakewood's Tom Sutera (1-2, 6.57) First pitch is set for 1:05 p.m., and pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 12:50 with Will DeBoer on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short for Kannapolis in 4-3 Loss - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Grasshoppers Shutout Jackets 7-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Greenville Falls to Hickory on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Squander Wilson's Dandy in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Blue Ridge Woes, RiverDogs Walked off on to Drop Third Straight - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rangel, Venter Lead Rome to 4-0 Win over Columbia - Rome Braves
- MacIver Provides the Magic at McCormick Field - Asheville Tourists
- Birthday Boy Guzman Comes Through in 8th; Claws Win 2-1 on Saturday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Martin Tosses Six Scoreless in Debut Despite Loss - West Virginia Power
- Acosta Does It Again, But Fireflies Fall - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Rise Late to Upend Power 4-1 - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 17 vs. Rome (Game 121) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 17) - West Virginia Power
- Medina Called up to High-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Tie Grand Slam Record - Asheville Tourists
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Beat Oddball Defense to Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Braves fall five games back in division race - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Score on Delmarva Shorebirds Deals up to 50% off Now Through Sunday
- Time Is Running out on the Shorebirds Undefeated Champions Pack
- Join Us this Friday for the Shorebirds Drive-In Fireworks Spectacular
- Shorebirds Drive-In Fireworks Spectacular Set for Next Friday, Sep. 18
- Shorebirds Movie Night Presented by Valvoline Instant Oil Change Is Tonight