Fireflies Game Notes: August 17 vs. Rome (Game 121)
Columbia Fireflies (25-29, 49-71) @ Rome Braves (26-28, 56-67)
RHP Daison Acosta (1-2, 3.23) vs. RHP Alan Rangel (9-7, 4.75)
Sat., August 17, 2019 - Segra Park (Columbia, SC) - First Pitch 6:05 p.m. - Game 121
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: The Fireflies won again on Friday, defeating Rome, 6-2. Columbia shattered Dilmer Mejia's 17-inning scoreless streak with five runs in the third, an inning that featured an RBI double from Brian Sharp and a Chase Chambers two-run homer. Alec Kisena picked up another win after hurling five frames and allowing just two runs.
TWICE IS NICE: Friday was Chase Chambers' 21st multi-hit game of the season. He's one of four Fireflies with 20 or more this season:
MOST MULTI-HIT GAMES, 2019
1. Ronny Mauricio, 30
2. Mark Vientos*, 22 *injured list
3. Chase Chambers, 21
4. Wagner Lagrange^, 20 ^now with Adv-A St. Lucie
It's worth noting, Lagrange needed the fewest games to reach at least 20 (71 games). The outfielder is currently hitting .333 with advanced-A St. Lucie.
CHOPPED: Columbia has now won six straight against the Braves. The Fireflies' .765 winning percentage against Rome is its best winning percentage against any SAL team this year. Columbia's been particularly unfriendly to the Braves at Segra Park where the Fireflies are 9-1 against their Southern Division foe.
CHOPPED, Pt. II: The six straight wins for Columbia is the longest for either team over the other in one single season. Rome did win seven straight against Columbia but that was over the course of two seasons from September 2, 2017-July 24, 2018.
WELCOME TO THE TEAM: Nick Conti made his Fireflies debut on Friday. The 22-year-old from Orlando singled, scored a run and made a terrific diving stop at second base to help retire Rome's Michael Harris in the seventh.
SECOND-HALF HITTER: Outfielder Jose Medina plated another run in Friday's win over Rome. It's been fun to watch the 22-year-old Dominican blossom at the plate in the second half of the season:
- J. Medina (1st half): .185 (20 GP), .470 OPS, 0 HR, 4 RBI, 5 R
- J. Medina (2nd half): .248 (34 GP), .759 OPS, 5 HR, 17 RBI, 17 R
CAN'T STOP THEM: Chase Chambers and Ronny Mauricio have had the most success at the plate against Rome in 2019:
Chambers v. ROM: .338 (14-for-36), 10 GP, 3 2B, 2 HR, 7 RBI
Mauricio v. ROM: .313 (20-for-64), 16 GP, 1 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 4 RBI
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short for Kannapolis in 4-3 Loss - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Grasshoppers Shutout Jackets 7-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Greenville Falls to Hickory on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Squander Wilson's Dandy in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Blue Ridge Woes, RiverDogs Walked off on to Drop Third Straight - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rangel, Venter Lead Rome to 4-0 Win over Columbia - Rome Braves
- MacIver Provides the Magic at McCormick Field - Asheville Tourists
- Birthday Boy Guzman Comes Through in 8th; Claws Win 2-1 on Saturday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Martin Tosses Six Scoreless in Debut Despite Loss - West Virginia Power
- Acosta Does It Again, But Fireflies Fall - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Rise Late to Upend Power 4-1 - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 17 vs. Rome (Game 121) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 17) - West Virginia Power
- Medina Called up to High-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Tie Grand Slam Record - Asheville Tourists
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Beat Oddball Defense to Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Braves fall five games back in division race - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- YouTube Sensation Darren Knight Brings "Southern Momma" to Segra Park
- Disney Classic "Hocus Pocus" to Play at Segra Park October 29
- Eagles Tribute Band "On the Border" Performs at Segra Park
- ColaJazz Performance & "An American in Paris" Showing Coming to Segra Park
- Live Baseball & Movie Screening in Honor of 100th Anniversary Celebration of Negro Leagues October 10