Medina Called up to High-A Tampa
CHARLESTON, S.C. - After a dominant stretch of six straight starts, RiverDogs right-hander Luis Medina was called up to the High-A Tampa Tarpons on Saturday as announced by the New York Yankees.
Showcasing some of the best pure stuff in the South Atlantic League to start the year, Medina demonstrated a marked turnaround in his last six starts, dominating opposing hitters to the tune of a 2.06 ERA and striking out 51 of 136 batters faced in that stretch (37.5%) to lower his overall season ERA to 6.00 on the season. In what would ultimately be his last start as a RiverDog, the 20-year-old cruised through seven shutout frames on Tuesday against Columbia while matching a career-best with 10 punchouts, his third double-digit strikeout performance in the six outing span. After walking 55 batters to 64 K's over his first 58 innings, the Dominican Republic product posted an impressive 51:12 ratio over his last 35 innings.
Medina becomes the seventh member of Charleston's original Opening Day staff to get the call to the Tarpons, joining recent call ups including Luis Gil and Alexander Vizcaino at the next level.
In a corresponding move, the Yankees reassigned left-hander Josh Maciejewski to the Charleston staff. The southpaw made two Triple-A spot starts, allowing four runs over nine innings in a stint with the Railriders following two quality starts in a RiverDogs uniform.
With their retooled staff, the RiverDogs continue a crucial road series against first-place Asheville on Saturday night at 6:05 p.m. from McCormick Field. Right-hander Harold Cortijo (4-3, 2.86) gets the ball in the opener. Catch the game on WTMA 1250 AM in the tri-county area and online streaming on the RiverDogs' TuneIn radio station starting at 5:30 with "Saturday Dog Talk." The Dogs trail the Tourists by 4.0 games in the second-half standings with six games of their 16 games remaining on the schedule still against the Rockies affiliate.
Fans can "Make Fun" with the RiverDogs all season long down at The Joe. Single-game tickets, including options to the Riley Park Club, are now available at riverdogs.com/tickets or by contacting the RiverDogs front office at 843-577-3647 (DOGS). A full schedule and list of game times for the 2019 season is available at riverdogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short for Kannapolis in 4-3 Loss - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Grasshoppers Shutout Jackets 7-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Greenville Falls to Hickory on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Squander Wilson's Dandy in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Blue Ridge Woes, RiverDogs Walked off on to Drop Third Straight - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rangel, Venter Lead Rome to 4-0 Win over Columbia - Rome Braves
- MacIver Provides the Magic at McCormick Field - Asheville Tourists
- Birthday Boy Guzman Comes Through in 8th; Claws Win 2-1 on Saturday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Martin Tosses Six Scoreless in Debut Despite Loss - West Virginia Power
- Acosta Does It Again, But Fireflies Fall - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Rise Late to Upend Power 4-1 - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 17 vs. Rome (Game 121) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 17) - West Virginia Power
- Medina Called up to High-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Tie Grand Slam Record - Asheville Tourists
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Beat Oddball Defense to Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Braves fall five games back in division race - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.