Birds Hang on in Ninth Inning, Take Series Opener in Kinston
KINSTON, N.C. - With the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the ninth inning, Jhon Romero locked down his eighth save for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans on Friday night in their 3-2 victory over the Down East Wood Ducks from Grainger Stadium.
With the Pelicans (43-49, 9-13) leading 3-1 in the ninth, the Wood Ducks (44-49, 9-14) tightened the score with a Charles Leblanc RBI single. After Brendon Davis reached on an error to load the bases, Romero struck out Josh Altmann and induced a Melvin Novoa pop out to short to earn his eighth save of the season.
Trailing 1-0 in the fourth inning, Myrtle Beach stormed back with two runs on Down East starter Joe Palumbo (0-1). Jhonny Pereda and Jared Young ripped back-to-back singles and Pereda came in to score with two outs on a throwing error to tie the game. The Birds grabbed the lead when Roberto Caro , who finished 2-for-4, smashed an RBI single, making it 2-1.
In the sixth, Aramis Ademan doubled to begin in the inning, stole third and then came into score when the throw sailed into left field, putting the margin at 3-1 Pelicans.
The Woodies struck first in the bottom of the first inning when Alex Kowalczyk scored LaDarius Clark on a sacrifice fly.
Cory Abbott (2-4) earned the win for the Pelicans, tossing five innings while allowing only one run on three hits.
The Pelicans continue their four-game series against Down East on Saturday with a 6:00 p.m. first pitch. LHP Bryan Hudson (5-7, 5.27 ERA) starts for Myrtle Beach against Down East RHP Jason Bahr (0-0, 0.00 ERA). Coverage begins at 5:45 p.m. on MiLB.tv, MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast, the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn.
The 2018 season is the 20th season for the Pelicans franchise and fourth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Sox Blister Blue Rocks in 10-1 Rout Friday - Salem Red Sox
- Keys Earn Come-From-Behind Win over P-Nats - Frederick Keys
- Two-Run Ninth Pushes Keys Past P-Nats in Series Opener - Potomac Nationals
- Dash Earn Walk-Off Win over Buies Creek on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Rocks Drop Series Opener against the Red Sox - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Birds Hang on in Ninth Inning, Take Series Opener in Kinston - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Palumbo Returns, Offense Stalls in Loss to Pelicans - Down East Wood Ducks
- Three-Game Skid Ends as Hillcats Top Mudcats Friday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- July 13 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 13 vs. Buies Creek) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Stephen Strasburg to Pitch for Potomac on Sunday, Koda Glover to Pitch for the P-Nats on Saturday - Potomac Nationals
- OF D.J. Wilsonplaced on the 7-day disabled list - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 13 at Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Battle of the Sauce Night, BBQ Mitt Giveaway, House Autry Friday Fireworks and More Coming Up - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash to Host Used Baseball Equipment Drive on Saturday - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Friday's Series Finale against Potomac Postponed
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 20 vs. Potomac
- TicketReturn.com Field Named Top Ballpark Experience in South Carolina
- Despite Young Homer, Pelicans Fall in Second Straight Game to P-Nats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 19 vs. Potomac