Dash Earn Walk-Off Win over Buies Creek on Friday
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - The Dash came from behind to earn a 7-6, walk-off win over Buies Creek on Friday night at BB&T Ballpark.
The victory was set up by a three-run bottom of the ninth inning. Trailing 6-3, Winston-Salem (15-7, 56-36) loaded the bases with nobody out on a single from Blake Rutherford, a double by Mitch Roman and a walk from Gavin Sheets against right-hander Carlos Sanabria. Back-to-back sacrifice flies from Yermin Mercedes and Ti'Quan Forbes cut the deficit to one.
Next, with the tying run at first, Yeyson Yrizarri lined a single into left field to put runners at the corners with two outs. Then, on a 1-1 pitch from Sanabria, Zach Remillard drove a single into left to bring home Sheets from third to tie the game at six.
On the first pitch of the bottom of the 10th inning, Laz Rivera laid down a sacrifice bunt back to the mound. But, the throw from Jesus Balaguer (3-4) sailed over Osvaldo Duarte's head at first base, allowing Luis Gonzalez - the placed runner at second base - to score the winning run. The victory marked the Dash's fifth walk-off win of the year.
Tyler Johnson (2-0) dominated in relief, facing the minimum in his three innings of work and striking out a career-high six batters en route to his second win as a member of the Dash.
Buies Creek (15-8, 52-40) jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning. After J.J. Matijevic doubled with one out against Luis Martinez, he came around to score on a single from Ronnie Dawson.
But, the Dash struck right back in the bottom of the first inning against Cristian Javier. First, Gonzalez drew a leadoff walk, and, after he moved to second on a fielder's choice, Rutherford guided a single into left field to bring home Gonzalez and tie the game.
Then, Roman ripped a two-run homer to put the Dash in front 3-1. Roman finished the game 3-for-4 with two doubles and a home run, tying a career-high with three extra-base hits in a single game.
However, Winston-Salem's lead was short-lived. In the top of the second, with runners on second and third and two outs, Matijevic lofted a three-run home run over the fence in the left-field corner to put Buies Creek in front 4-3. The Astros extended their lead in the fifth when Ronnie Dawson led off the frame with a solo homer to right.
Meanwhile, after allowing the first-inning home run to Roman, Javier retired 20 of the final 22 batters he faced - including 14 straight. He struck out eight and walked one across his seven innings.
Buies Creek added on a run in the top of the seventh. Matijevic led off the inning and hit a high fly ball to centerfield that Gonzalez lost in the lights, resulting in a double. Osvaldo Duarte promptly drove in Matijevic with a single down the right-field line to put the Astros up 6-3.
The Dash continue their series with the Buies Creek Astros on Saturday at 6 p.m. when right-hander Blake Hickman (2-2, 7.02 ERA) squares off with right-hander Jose Hernandez (first start). Pregame coverage begins at 5:45 p.m. and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast, MiLB.tv and the TuneIn Radio App. Fans in the Chicago-area can also watch live on NBC Sports Chicago.
Promotions include a Lowes Foods Family Sunday, and kids can run the bases after the game on Saturday and Sunday, powered by New Balance Winston-Salem. Additionally, the Dash will celebrate National Ice Cream Day on Sunday by offering $3 ice cream cones. For tickets and more information, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Sox Blister Blue Rocks in 10-1 Rout Friday - Salem Red Sox
- Keys Earn Come-From-Behind Win over P-Nats - Frederick Keys
- Two-Run Ninth Pushes Keys Past P-Nats in Series Opener - Potomac Nationals
- Dash Earn Walk-Off Win over Buies Creek on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Rocks Drop Series Opener against the Red Sox - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Birds Hang on in Ninth Inning, Take Series Opener in Kinston - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Palumbo Returns, Offense Stalls in Loss to Pelicans - Down East Wood Ducks
- Three-Game Skid Ends as Hillcats Top Mudcats Friday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- July 13 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 13 vs. Buies Creek) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Stephen Strasburg to Pitch for Potomac on Sunday, Koda Glover to Pitch for the P-Nats on Saturday - Potomac Nationals
- OF D.J. Wilsonplaced on the 7-day disabled list - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 13 at Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Battle of the Sauce Night, BBQ Mitt Giveaway, House Autry Friday Fireworks and More Coming Up - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash to Host Used Baseball Equipment Drive on Saturday - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.