OF D.J. Wilsonplaced on the 7-day disabled list
The Chicago Cubs have announced the following roster moves affecting the Myrtle Beach Pelicans:
-OF D.J. Wilson has been placed on the 7-day disabled list.
-INF Tyler Alamo has been activated from the 7-day disabled list.
-OF Jose Gutierrez has been assigned to Myrtle Beach from Rookie-level Mesa. He will wear No. 5.
Wilson has been placed on the 7-day disabled list for the second time this season. The Canton, Ohio native has appeared in 34 games, batting .239/.364/.333 with four doubles, two triples, one home run, 10 RBIs and five stolen bases. Wilson had recorded hits in 11 of last 12 games (15-for-48, .313/.377/.396, 2 2B, 3B, 7 RBIs, 5 BB, 9 R) before being placed on the disabled list. The Cubs' 2015 fourth-round pick posted a .229/.309/.419 line with 16 doubles, eight triples, nine homers, 45 RBIs and 15 steals in 88 games with Low-A South Bend.
Alamo's last action for Myrtle Beach came on May 29, when he blasted a walk-off grand slam against Winston-Salem. He missed 39 games on the disabled list and before returning to the Birds, played in nine rehab games with Mesa Cubs2, slashing .235/.229/.294 with two doubles and three RBIs. In 40 games this season for the Pelicans, the Cypress, Calif., native is batting .254/.299/.465 with six doubles, eight home runs and 27 RBIs. Alamo also played for the Pelicans in the 2016, when he hit .281/.322/.422 with 24 doubles, 12 homers and 42 RBIs in 114 games. He was originally drafted by the Cubs in the 24th round of the 2013 draft out of Cypress High School in California.
Gutierrez is making his first appearance in full-season baseball. In 17 games this season with Rookie-level Mesa, the Anzoategui, Venezuela native posted a .245/.333/.286 line with two doubles, two RBIs and two stolen bases. Gutierrez played in 40 games with Mesa in 2017, when he batted .256/.291/.365 with 11 doubles, three triples, 13 ZRBIs and six steals. He was originally signed by the Cubs as a non-drafted free agent on April 20, 2015.
The Pelicans' roster sits at 25 active players, with four players on the disabled list.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Sox Blister Blue Rocks in 10-1 Rout Friday - Salem Red Sox
- Keys Earn Come-From-Behind Win over P-Nats - Frederick Keys
- Two-Run Ninth Pushes Keys Past P-Nats in Series Opener - Potomac Nationals
- Dash Earn Walk-Off Win over Buies Creek on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Rocks Drop Series Opener against the Red Sox - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Birds Hang on in Ninth Inning, Take Series Opener in Kinston - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Palumbo Returns, Offense Stalls in Loss to Pelicans - Down East Wood Ducks
- Three-Game Skid Ends as Hillcats Top Mudcats Friday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- July 13 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 13 vs. Buies Creek) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Stephen Strasburg to Pitch for Potomac on Sunday, Koda Glover to Pitch for the P-Nats on Saturday - Potomac Nationals
- OF D.J. Wilsonplaced on the 7-day disabled list - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 13 at Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Battle of the Sauce Night, BBQ Mitt Giveaway, House Autry Friday Fireworks and More Coming Up - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash to Host Used Baseball Equipment Drive on Saturday - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Florence Benefit Concert Raises over $128,000 for Local Relief
- Pelicans Welcome Ryan Waters to Staff
- Special Guest Appearance by Darius Rucker for Hurricane Florence Benefit Concert
- Cubs, Pelicans Extend PDC Agreement
- Pelicans Announce Ticket Fundraiser for Local Flood Victims