Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 13 vs. Buies Creek)
In a matchup of the two best teams in the Carolina League, the Dash kick off a four-game set against the Buies Creek Astros on Friday at BB&T Ballpark. First pitch is set for 7 p.m.
WINSTON-SALEM DASH (14-7, 55-36) vs. Buies Creek Astros (15-7, 52-39)
RHP Luis Martinez (6-4, 3.98 ERA) vs. RHP Cristian Javier (3-1, 1.16 ERA)
7 p.m. - BB&T Ballpark (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
Game #92 (Home Game #45)
DASH EARN COME-FROM-BEHIND WIN
Thanks to a five-run seventh inning, Winston-Salem outlasted the Salem Red Sox 6-5 on Thursday night at Haley Toyota Field. With the victory, the Dash split their four-game set against the Red Sox. Trailing 4-1 entering the seventh, the Dash offense sent 11 men to the plate, using a Ti'Quan Forbes RBI single, a Red Sox error, bases-loaded walk, and a hit-by-pitch to take the lead. John Parke earned the win, allowing four runs while tying a season-high with seven innings pitched. Danny Dopico picked up his fourth save of the year with a scoreless ninth.
SHEETS SHOWING UP
Dash first baseman Gavin Sheets has been in a grove in the second half of the season. Through 21 games after the All-Star Break, Sheets is batting .365 (31-for-85) with eight doubles, two homers and 15 RBIs. A former second-round pick by the White Sox out of Wake Forest University, Sheets' 31 hits since June 21 are tied for fifth-most in all of Minor League Baseball. Prior to joining the White Sox organization, Sheets was a three-year star for the Demon Deacons, registering 21 homers and 84 RBIs in his final season in 2017.
AMONG THE BEST OF THE BEST
Winston-Salem has the sixth-best winning percentage in the Minors with a .604 mark. Here's a look at the top teams in Minor League Baseball:
1. Bowling Green Hot Rods (Midwest League - A): 61-29 (.678)
2. Corpus Christi Hooks (Texas League - AA): 58-31 (.652)
3. Memphis Redbirds (Pacific Coast League - AAA): 57-34 (.626)
4. Lansing Lugnuts (Midwest League - A) 56-35 (.615)
5. Stockton Ports (California League - A+): 56-36 (.609)
6. Winston-Salem Dash (Carolina League - A+): 55-36 (.604)
LUIS GONZALEZ 2.0?
After earning a Midseason All-Star nod in the South Atlantic League with Low-A Kannapolis in the first half, Luis Gonzalez has continued his strong work at the plate with the Dash. In 18 games played for Winston-Salem, Gonzalez has posted 10 multi-hit contests, including three consecutive two-hit games. Overall, the former third-round pick is hitting .333 with 10 doubles, a homer and 12 RBIs with the Dash. The 22-year-old Gonzalez played three years at the University of New Mexico before joining the White Sox organization last year.
Thanks to their strong second-half start, Dash are atop the Carolina League in several offensive categories, including runs (466), doubles (187), triples (27), hits (825), RBIs (440) and slugging percentage (.421). Meanwhile, the Dash rank second in the circuit in home runs (73) and on-base percentage (.343).
Danny Dopico has reeled off eight scoreless appearances in his last 10 outings, allowing just one earned run in the process. Since May 27, the right-hander has three saves in three tries and a 0.68 ERA in 13.1 innings while striking out 16 and walking just four.
MARTINEZ MARCHES ON
Last time out, Martinez tied a season-high with seven innings, allowing just two runs on five hits against Down East to earn his third consecutive win. The Venezuelan right-hander has found a groove over the last month. Since June 10, Martinez is 3-0 with a 2.79 ERA, racking up 25 strikeouts against nine walks in 29.0 innings.
Blake Rutherford currently leads all White Sox farmhands with 58 RBIs...The Dash are 5-5 against Buies Creek this season, last facing the Astros from May 21-24 at BB&T Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Sox Blister Blue Rocks in 10-1 Rout Friday - Salem Red Sox
- Keys Earn Come-From-Behind Win over P-Nats - Frederick Keys
- Two-Run Ninth Pushes Keys Past P-Nats in Series Opener - Potomac Nationals
- Dash Earn Walk-Off Win over Buies Creek on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Rocks Drop Series Opener against the Red Sox - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Birds Hang on in Ninth Inning, Take Series Opener in Kinston - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Palumbo Returns, Offense Stalls in Loss to Pelicans - Down East Wood Ducks
- Three-Game Skid Ends as Hillcats Top Mudcats Friday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- July 13 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 13 vs. Buies Creek) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Stephen Strasburg to Pitch for Potomac on Sunday, Koda Glover to Pitch for the P-Nats on Saturday - Potomac Nationals
- OF D.J. Wilsonplaced on the 7-day disabled list - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 13 at Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Battle of the Sauce Night, BBQ Mitt Giveaway, House Autry Friday Fireworks and More Coming Up - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash to Host Used Baseball Equipment Drive on Saturday - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.