Big First, One-Hitter Helps Raptors to Twinbill Sweep
After a win in the first game of Friday night's doubleheader, the Ogden Raptors came right back out and swung the bat well against a high draft pick to earn a 4-2 win and sweep the pair of games.
Facing Kansas City's third pick from June's draft, Jorbit Vivas opened his first game with the Raptors by lining the first pitch of the bottom of the first into left field. He stole second on the first offering to Brandon Lewis, and three pitches later Lewis singled to center to plate Vivas for a 1-0 lead.
Up next was Ryan Ward, and he hammered a drive well over the right field fence for a 3-0 Ogden advantage. Jimmy Titus walked, and later in the inning he scored on a wild pitch with two out.
The four runs in the first was all the Raptors put up, but it was all they needed. Alfredo Tavarez turned in a perfect first inning before giving up a leadoff homer in the second. He would have exited the second with only the one run allowed, as he struck out two of the next three, but one runner reached on an error and Tavarez hit two more with two out before issuing a bases-loaded walk. Yeison Cespedes entered with two out in the second and recorded a flyout to strand three.
From that point, the game became a pitcher's duel. Cespedes struck out five over three scoreless innings to earn the win, Mitchell Tyranski retired all four batters he faced and Hunter Speer picked up his fourth save of the season with a scoreless ninth. In all, the second-inning home run was the only hit of the game for the Chukars.
The doubleheader sweep moves Ogden to 39-10 on the season, and the Raptors overtook Grand Junction for first place in the Pioneer League South division second-half standings.
Ogden hosts Idaho Falls for the third game of the four-game series Saturday night at 7 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Lewis Makes History with Three Blasts, But Raptors Fall - Ogden Raptors
- Sala Plays Hero for Owlz - Orem Owlz
- Strong Pitching Propels Voyagers to Victory - Great Falls Voyagers
- Chukars Outslug Raptors to Snap Skid - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Sala Plays the Hero for Owlz - Orem Owlz
- Junction Drops Second Straight - Grand Junction Rockies
- Mustangs and Vibes Postponed Saturday - Billings Mustangs
- D-Backs Send Hillsboro Shortstop to Missoula - Missoula Osprey
- Big First, One-Hitter Helps Raptors to Twinbill Sweep - Ogden Raptors
- Raptors Use Long Ball to Come Back on Idaho Falls in Game One - Ogden Raptors
- Raptors Silence Chukars in Twin Bill Sweep - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Voyagers Outlast Grand Junction to Level Series - Great Falls Voyagers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.