Big Eighth Propels Dash Past Hillcats in Series Opener
Lynchburg, Va. - In the first game of the final series of the season for the Lynchburg Hillcats, the team's bullpen gave up a chunk of runs late to allow the Winston-Salem Dash to win, 5-1.
Lynchburg (29-36, 61-71) falls to 8-9 in the season series with Winston-Salem (32-33, 70-59) in the loss.
The Dash got out to a lead in the first inning. With two away, Craig Dedelow slugged a fly ball deep to left field. The ball banged off the wall and rolled away from left fielder Will Benson. Dedelow, with his speed, made it all the way around the bases on an inside-the-park home run to give the Dash a 1-0 lead.
Lynchburg finally got on the board in the sixth inning. Tyler Freeman ripped a leadoff single and was followed up by a double from Mitch Reeves to put two in scoring position with none away. Gavin Collins hit a fly ball to left field, a sacrifice fly that scored Freeman to tie the game at 1-1.
In the eighth inning, Juan Mota (Loss, 3-4) stumbled by walking Evan Skoug and allowing a single to Yeyson Yrizarri to begin the frame. After Mota was pulled for Randy Valladares, the left-hander surrendered a bunt single to Steele Walker to load the bases for Winston-Salem. A double by Johan Cruz cleared the bags to give Winston-Salem a 4-1 advantage.
In the ninth, Jameson Fisher kicked off the inning for Winston-Salem with a solo shot to push the lead to 5-1 Dash.
Mota was excellent in the start, tossing seven innings while allowing three earned runs on five hits, striking out a career-high nine batters. Valladares surrendered a run in an inning of work while Justin Garza was tagged with a run over an inning of work.
Taylor Varnell allowed a run in 5.2 innings while striking out five in the start for Winston-Salem. Wyatt Burns (Win, 3-1) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings while Andrew Perez and Luis Ledo worked a scoreless inning each.
The Hillcats will look to garner the win in the second game of the series on Saturday. Lynchburg will send left-hander Juan Hillman (5-12, 4.05) to the mound to square off against Zach Lewis (6-7, 5.73). First pitch is set for 6 p.m.
Saturday's game will be a Sparkling Saturday with the final fireworks show of the season at City Stadium. Homestand highlights also include Sandlot Sunday and Fan Appreciation Night on Monday.
For tickets or more information, visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, call 434-528-1144, or visit the City Stadium box office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Pelicans Fall in Series Opener to Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Williams Walks-Off Red Sox 3-2 over Mudcats - Salem Red Sox
- Miscues Cost Mudcats in 3-2 Walk-Off Loss to Red Sox - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats Start Fast in Series Opener - Frederick Keys
- P-Nats Continue Winning Ways in Frederick - Potomac Nationals
- Woodpeckers Blowout Wood Ducks in Opener - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Woodpeckers Strike Early To Take Down Woodies Friday - Down East Wood Ducks
- Late Offense Lifts Dash over Hillcats on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Big Eighth Propels Dash Past Hillcats in Series Opener - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 30 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 30 at Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 30 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 30 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- RHP Peter Strzelecki assigned to AZL Brewers Gold - Carolina Mudcats
- Nationals Take Down the Pelicans in the Series Finale - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodpeckers Shutout Carolina to Earn Playoff Berth - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lynchburg Hillcats Stories
- All-Star Classic Highlights Hillcats' 2020 Schedule
- Alvarez Added to Arizona Fall League Roster
- Karinchak Makes MLB Debut, Becomes 182nd Hillcat to Make Majors
- Sulser Makes MLB Debut, Becomes 181st Hillcat to Make Majors
- Teaney Added to Arizona Fall League Roster