Williams Walks-Off Red Sox 3-2 over Mudcats
SALEM, Virginia - Dylan Thompson held the Carolina Mudcats scoreless before Grant Williams took advantage and walked the Red Sox off, 3-2 Friday night at Haley Toyota Field.
How it Happened
* Pat McInerny pushed Carolina to an early 2-0 lead with a home run in the first inning.
* AJ Politi retired after 4.1 innings, surrendering the one home run and striking out seven.
* Salem broke the silence in the sixth. Garrett Benge singled and stole second before trading places on a Devlin Granberg double to cut the difference, 2-1.
* Benge led-off the eighth with another single. Pinch runner Michael Osinski motored home to tie the tilt when Curcio knocked a pop-up that tipped off Eddie Silva's glove at third base.
* Dylan Thompson held the Mudcats at bay for 4.2 innings with four strikeouts to give Salem a chance.
* Victor Acosta kicked-off the ninth with a single. Jerry Downs laced a single up the middle to push runners and a fly-out from Tanner Nishioka pushed runners to the corners. Grant Williams rolled a bunt single up the first base line to bring Acosta home and walk the Sox off, 3-2.
* Grant Williams: 1-for-4, RBI
* Dylan Thompson: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K - W (6-8)
* Devlin Granberg: 2-for-4, RBI, 2 2B
* The walk-off was Salem's seventh of the season.
What's NextSalem Red Sox vs Carolina Mudcats, August 31, 2019. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 PM EST.
LHP Jhonathan Diaz vs RHP Matt Smith
Listen: SalemSox.com, TuneIn Radio, ESPN Blacksburg WKEX 1430 AM/94.1 FM, WGMN 1240 AM/93.3 FM
Watch: MiLB.TV, WSLS-MeTV
The Salem Red Sox are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox and call Haley Toyota Field in Salem, Virginia home. The team was founded in 1968 and purchased by Fenway Sports Management in December of 2007. For more information on the Salem Red Sox, please visit SalemRedSox.com or contact Melanie Newman at [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Pelicans Fall in Series Opener to Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Williams Walks-Off Red Sox 3-2 over Mudcats - Salem Red Sox
- Miscues Cost Mudcats in 3-2 Walk-Off Loss to Red Sox - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats Start Fast in Series Opener - Frederick Keys
- P-Nats Continue Winning Ways in Frederick - Potomac Nationals
- Woodpeckers Blowout Wood Ducks in Opener - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Woodpeckers Strike Early To Take Down Woodies Friday - Down East Wood Ducks
- Late Offense Lifts Dash over Hillcats on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Big Eighth Propels Dash Past Hillcats in Series Opener - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 30 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 30 at Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 30 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 30 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- RHP Peter Strzelecki assigned to AZL Brewers Gold - Carolina Mudcats
- Nationals Take Down the Pelicans in the Series Finale - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodpeckers Shutout Carolina to Earn Playoff Berth - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.