P-Nats Continue Winning Ways in Frederick
Frederick, MD - In need of a strong finish to return to the Carolina League playoffs for the second year in a row, the Potomac Nationals (36-30, 66-67) won their third consecutive game and kept pace with the first-place Salem Red Sox with an 8-1 victory over the Frederick Keys (24-40, 53-80) on Friday night.
RHP Jackson Tetreault (W, 4-2) pitched the first five innings of a solid pitching performance for the P-Nats, earning his fourth win in the process. With four games to play, Potomac trails Salem by 2.5 games in the Northern Division standings.
Frederick RHP David Lebron (L, 2-6) had struggled in the first inning of his recent starts, and the P-Nats made sure that his trend would continue as they jumped out to a 2-0 lead. LF Jack Sundberg, CF Cole Freeman and 1B Aldrem Corredor each singled to start the game, with Corredor's league-leading 87th RBI scoring the first run of the contest. Freeman scampered home from third on a wild pitch to give Tetreault an early advantage.
The Potomac starter allowed a run back in the fourth on an RBI single from 2B Chris Clare, but got through 5.0 innings with only one run allowed to qualify for the win and bridge the gap to the bullpen. 3B Austin Davidson collected an RBI single in the third and an RBI double in the fifth to put Potomac ahead 4-1 heading to the sixth.
Rehabbing Nationals LHP Sean Doolittle needed only 13 pitches to work a 1-2-3 sixth inning, and RHP Angel Guillen (S, 1) earned his first save by pitching hitless ball in the final three frames. SS Gilbert Lara's RBI double in the eighth was followed by a three-run homer from Sundberg, his first of the year, to extend the lead to its final of 8-1.
The P-Nats play a twin bill on Saturday against the Keys as they make up a postponement from August 22. LHP Tim Cate will square off against LHP Cameron Bishop in game one, followed by an unannounced Potomac starter against RHP Luis Pérez in the nightcap. First pitch of game one from Nymeo Field is set for 4:00 pm, with the P-Nats Leadoff Show beginning at 3:45. Fans can listen to the Potomac broadcast at potomacnationals.com or on the TuneIn Radio App.
The Potomac Nationals of the Carolina League play at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia, and are the Carolina League affiliate of the Washington Nationals. The Potomac Nationals have claimed five Carolina League Championship titles (1982, 1989, 2008, 2010, and 2014) and 10 CL Northern Division Championships. Sponsorship opportunities for the P-Nats' 2019 season and beyond are available, as well as all-inclusive corporate picnic outings to watch the future stars of the Washington Nationals at The Pfitz. 2019 Potomac Nationals season tickets and mini plans are now on sale. For more information on Potomac Nationals 2019 season tickets, mini plans, group outings, picnic packages, fundraisers, and all things Red, White, and Blue, visit the P-Nats online at www.potomacnationals.com, follow the P-Nats on Facebook (@PotomacNationals), Twitter (@PNats42), and Instagram (@pnats42), or call the Potomac Nationals' Extreme Custom Collision Ticket Office at 703-590-2311.
Fredericksburg Baseball is set to begin Carolina League play in 2020 at a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium facility, located at Celebrate Virginia South on Carl D. Silver Parkway near the Fredericksburg Expo & Convention Center in Fredericksburg, VA. Celebrate baseball in The 'Burg and stay up to date with the progress of the new ballpark facility and the team online at www.fredericksburgbaseball.com, and follow Fredericksburg Baseball on Facebook (@FredericksburgBaseball), on Twitter (@FXBGBaseball20), and on Instagram (@fredericksburgbaseball).
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Pelicans Fall in Series Opener to Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Williams Walks-Off Red Sox 3-2 over Mudcats - Salem Red Sox
- Miscues Cost Mudcats in 3-2 Walk-Off Loss to Red Sox - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats Start Fast in Series Opener - Frederick Keys
- P-Nats Continue Winning Ways in Frederick - Potomac Nationals
- Woodpeckers Blowout Wood Ducks in Opener - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Woodpeckers Strike Early To Take Down Woodies Friday - Down East Wood Ducks
- Late Offense Lifts Dash over Hillcats on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Big Eighth Propels Dash Past Hillcats in Series Opener - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 30 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 30 at Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 30 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 30 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- RHP Peter Strzelecki assigned to AZL Brewers Gold - Carolina Mudcats
- Nationals Take Down the Pelicans in the Series Finale - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodpeckers Shutout Carolina to Earn Playoff Berth - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- Potomac Nationals Players Recognized in 2019 Minor League Awards
- 2019 Potomac Nationals Season in Review
- Fredericksburg Baseball Team Gets a Name
- Carson Teel Named Carolina League Player of the Month
- Fredericksburg Baseball Hires Nick Hall as New Executive Vice President and General Manager; Bryan Holland and Aaron Johnson Promoted to Vice Presidents