Benson Captures Second Player of the Week Award
(Eastlake, OH) - The Midwest League and the Lake County Captains, Class-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, announced today that Captains outfielder Will Benson has been named the Midwest League Player of the Week for the second time this year. After a three-homer week, Benson was crowned the league's most outstanding position player for the week of May 13-19.
Benson clobbered home runs in back-to-back games on Wednesday against the Fort Wayne TinCaps and Thursday against the Bowling Green Hot Rods. The 2016 first round pick then made it three homers in five games when he went deep in Sunday's series finale against Bowling Green. During the week, Benson went 9-for-23 (.391) with three home runs, five RBI, five runs, three walks and three stolen bases.
Benson also earned the Midwest League Player of the Week award for the week of April 15-21, thanks to a historic performance on April 18 against the South Bend Cubs. That night, Benson hit four home runs in one game, becoming the first Captain ever to accomplish that feat and the fifth in the history of the Midwest League.
A 2018 Midwest League All-Star, Benson has been among the league's most potent offensive threats this season. Heading into Monday night, the Captains' outfielder leads the league in slugging percentage (.550) and is tied for the league lead in homers (9). He is also second in runs (28), third in OPS (.905), third in steals (12), tied for fourth in extra-base hits (18) and fourth in total bases (72).
Information about Classic Park or the Captains can be found online at www.captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Affordable ticket packages and group party and picnic options are available now.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 20, 2019
- Nuts Rally to Force Extras, Fall in 10th - Lansing Lugnuts
- Costes Comes up Clutch, Deason Dominates in 7-5 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Peoria's Fast Start is Too Much for Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Stop Dragons Comeback Effort, Edge Dayton 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Herrera Homers as Chiefs Beat Rattlers 7-4 - Peoria Chiefs
- TinCaps to Unveil POW/MIA Chair at Parkview Field on Friday - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rijo, Kernels Blank Bees Monday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Weathers Returns, and Offense Provides Support in TinCaps Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Benson Captures Second Player of the Week Award - Lake County Captains
- Andrew Cabezas Named MWL and Twins Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 20 vs. South Bend (Game 41) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gabe Snyder activated from Temporary Inactive List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Cubs to Co-Host Military Appreciation Week - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Former Indians Pitcher Charles Nagy to be Featured Guest at Captains 2020 Hot Stove Dinner
- Captains Promote Jen Yorko to General Manager; John Klein and Tim O'Brien Promoted to Assistant General Manager Roles
- Free Post-Season Events at Classic Park
- Loons Eliminate Captains in Game Three
- Captains Survive, Force Game Three