Beavers' Win Streak Halted As Grizzlies Hold On
PORTLAND, Ore. - Mike McBryde hit a go-ahead, two-run homer in the fourth inning, and the Fresno Grizzlies made that lead stick as they defeated the Portland Beavers 3-2 Saturday night at PGE Park.
Fresno's victory snapped the Beavers' four-game winning streak and gave the Grizzlies (10-7) sole possession of first place in the South Division.
McBryde was one of three Grizzlies with two hits in the game, and Fresno's bullpen came up big, holding the Beavers (9-8) scoreless on just two hits behind starter Kevin Pucetas.
Celebrating his 24th birthday, Aaron Cunningham was 2-for-4 and drove in both runs for the Beavers, who have lost three straight to Fresno. Luis Durango had three hits in the losing cause.
Former Oregon State Beaver and McMinnville, Ore., native Joe Paterson (1-1) worked 1 2/3 scoreless innings to get the win. Geno Espineli danced around trouble in the ninth to get the save, his second of the campaign.
Fresno got on the board in the top of the first, loading the bases with three straight, one-out singles, and getting a sac fly to left from Brett Pill to score Ryan Rohlinger from third.
With Lance Zawadzki on board after singling in the bottom of the first, Mike Baxter's hit-and-run single through the vacant left side of the infield put runners and first and third. Baxter then stole second, and Cunningham's two-out single up the middle scored both runners to give the Beavers a 2-1 lead.
With Jesus Guzman aboard in the fourth, McBryde narrowly cleared the wall in left field with his first home run of the season to restore the Grizzlies' one-run advantage for good.
Cesar Ramos (0-1), in his first start of the season, gave up all three runs on six hits and a walk while striking out three across four innings for the Beavers.
The Beavers and Grizzlies return to action at PGE Park Sunday at 2:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 24, 2010
- Beavers' Win Streak Halted As Grizzlies Hold On - Portland Beavers
- Oklahoma City wins over Memphis - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Zephyrs fall to Sounds 8-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Open Road Trip With 8-3 Win Over Z's - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Express Rained Out At Iowa - Round Rock Express
- Saturday's Iowa Cubs Game Postponed - Iowa Cubs
- Brett's Big Leaguers Presented By Barrick Gold To Launch This Weekend - Reno Aces
- Angels Recall Budde, Walker Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Snag 5-3 Win Over Fresno In 11 Innings - Reno Aces
- Beavers Finish Off Sweep Of River Cats With 5-4 Win - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss