Beavers Finish Off Sweep Of River Cats With 5-4 Win
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Luis Durango hit a game-tying RBI single and scored the go-ahead run on a wild pitch in the ninth inning Friday night as the Portland Beavers completed a four-game sweep of the Sacramento River Cats with a 5-4 victory at Raley Field.
Down 4-3, the Beavers (9-7) plated two runs in the ninth off River Cats closer Henry Rodriguez (0-1), who received little help from his defense. Durango's single to left scored Sean Kazmar, who led off with a walk and moved to second on a passed ball. Durango advanced to second when left fielder Jack Cust misplayed the ball. Center fielder Corey Brown then dropped a fly ball off Lance Zawadzki's bat before Durango scored on Rodriguez's wild pitch.
Chris Denorfia homered and Dusty Ryan had a two-run double to help the Beavers earn their first sweep since May 16-19, 2009, when the club won four games at New Orleans.
Luis Perdomo (1-1) earned the win with a scoreless eighth and Ernesto Frieri allowed a hit and a walk in the ninth but closed out his fourth save of the season and third of the series.
It was the first time the River Cats (7-9) had been swept in a four-game series since June 3-6, 2006, when they dropped four to Las Vegas at Raley Field.
Josh Donaldson hit a pair of two-run homers in the loss as the River Cats have lost their last six games after starting the season 7-3.
Michael Taylor led off the second with a single and scored on Donaldson's first homer of the night.
After River Cats starter Vin Mazzaro was replaced by Marcus McBeth in the sixth, the Beavers got a clutch, two-out double from Ryan to score Denorfia, who reached on an error, and Aaron Cunningham, who had walked.
Portland briefly took the lead in the top of the seventh on Denorfia's solo homer onto the clubhouse building behind the left-field wall.
After walking Taylor to start the seventh, Beavers starter Nathan Culp was relieved by Adam Russell, who served up Donaldson's second home run.
Culp, making his second career Triple-A start for the Beavers, worked six-plus innings and gave up three runs on four hits and two walks.
Mazzaro worked around three hits and four walks while striking out six over five scoreless innings.
The Beavers begin a four-game homestand at PGE Park on Saturday when they host the Fresno Grizzlies at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Donaldson also hit a three-run homer off the Beavers on April 11 at PGE Park ... after going 1-3 in Fresno to start the road trip, the Beavers finished with a 4-4 mark on the trip ... Ryne Jernigan made his Triple-A debut for Sacramento as a pinch-runner for Cust in the ninth ... the Beavers have won six straight against the River Cats for the first time in franchise history (since 2001) ... Portland is 11-3 against Sacramento since Aug. 3, 2009 ... Cunningham's seven-game hitting streak came to an end as the outfielder went 0-for-2 with two walks.
Beavers Game File FRIDAY'S GAME: Beavers 5, Sacramento 4 WINNING PITCHER: Perdomo (1-1) LOSING PITCHER: Rodriguez (0-1) SAVE: Frieri (4) HOME RUNS: Denorfia (2), Donaldson 2 (4) SATURDAY'S GAME: Fresno (Kevin Pucetas: 1-1, 3.94) at Portland (Cesar Ramos: NR), 7:05 p.m. (Pacific); live television broadcast on FSN, live audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 24, 2010
- Beavers' Win Streak Halted As Grizzlies Hold On - Portland Beavers
- Oklahoma City wins over Memphis - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Zephyrs fall to Sounds 8-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Open Road Trip With 8-3 Win Over Z's - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Express Rained Out At Iowa - Round Rock Express
- Saturday's Iowa Cubs Game Postponed - Iowa Cubs
- Brett's Big Leaguers Presented By Barrick Gold To Launch This Weekend - Reno Aces
- Angels Recall Budde, Walker Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Snag 5-3 Win Over Fresno In 11 Innings - Reno Aces
- Beavers Finish Off Sweep Of River Cats With 5-4 Win - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss