Baysox Blow out Curve in Rubber Match
CURVE, Pa - The Bowie Baysox hung a 12-spot on the Altoona Curve pitching staff for a 12-2 win in the rubber match of a three-game series on Wednesday at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
The Curve (16-16) suffered their largest defeat of the season with the 10-run loss. It was the second time in three days the Baysox (9-24) broke out for at least 10 runs on 15 or more hits as they earned their first series win this season.
Bowie jumped on the board when Carlos Perez ripped a two-run double down the third base line off Curve starter Sean Brady (Loss, 0-3). Brady surrendered solo homers to Jesmuel Valentin and Mason McCoy over the next two frames and left after allowing four runs on six hits with six strikeouts in his team debut.
The Curve got their only two runs of the day in the fifth off Baysox starter Alex Wells (Win, 2-1), who allowed six hits and walked four in five innings. Alfredo Reyes and Bralin Jackson hit back-to-back RBI singles, which cut the Curve deficit to 4-2 at the time. Reyes reached base safely in all five of his plate appearances, collecting two hits and three walks, while Jackson added a seventh-inning double to secure his eighth multi-hit game of the season.
The Baysox' bats stayed hot against the Curve bullpen as they added six runs over the final four innings to go up 12-2. McCoy finished the day with four hits and reached safely five times, Valentin was a triple shy of the cycle and scored for runs, and Alexis Torres collected two hits and three RBIs.
The Curve are off on Thursday, then come right back on Friday to open a three-game series with the Erie SeaWolves at 6 p.m. at PNG Field. Left-hander Cam Vieaux (1-2, 2.67) gets the ball for the Curve while the SeaWolves starter is TBD.
Gates open at 5 p.m. for Friday's series opener with Erie, which is the start of a huge weekend of giveaways at PNG Field. It begins with Star Wars Night featuring a Loco "The Last Locotami" Spinner giveaway for the first 1,000 fans presented by the Altoona Mirror. It also kicks off Altoona Area School District Weekend and there will be a Canned Food Drive at the ballpark. For tickets or more information, visit AltoonaCurve.com, call 877.99.CURVE or stop by the PNG Field box office. Additionally, the Stockyard Team Store is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., during every home game and online 24/7/365.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Senators Go Hitless in 7-0 Loss to Binghamton - Harrisburg Senators
- Gonzalez, Ryan Combine for Ponies No-Hitter - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Beat Erie in 11 - Akron RubberDucks
- Erie Eliminated in Extras, Akron Forces Rubber Match in 4-3 Fashion - Erie SeaWolves
- Dalbec with the Game-Winner Part 3, 'Dogs Beat 'Cats 3-1 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Saez's Slam Leads Wednesday Afternoon Victory - Trenton Thunder
- Listi and Falter tag team to tie series against the 'Goats - Reading Fightin Phils
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #28 - Rumble Ponies (17-10) at Harrisburg Senators (23-7) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Blow out Curve in Rubber Match - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Offense Explodes in 12-2 Win in Altoona - Bowie Baysox
- David Andrews Scheduled to Make Hadlock Field Appearance on May 14th - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 8th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.