BayHawks to Play as the "Erie Wave" for One Night
ERIE, PA - The Erie BayHawks, NBA G League affiliate of the Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club, announced today that they will be renamed the "Erie Wave" for their home game on Feb. 22 against the Canton Charge, as part of the team's first-ever Hardwood Classic Night.
The Erie Wave was a member of the World Basketball League (WBL) from 1990-92. The team played their home games at the Louis J. Tullio Arena, now known as Erie Insurance Arena. Debuting on May 17, 1990 against the Calgary 88ers, the Wave disbanded with 13 games remaining in the 1992 season.
Scooter Barry, a member of the 1988 men's basketball national champion Kansas Jayhawks, suited up for the Wave during the team's inaugural season. Local Edinboro University standout, Billy Wade, also played for the Wave during the 1990 campaign.
"This game is an opportunity to reflect back on Erie's rich history of sports and appreciate the level of pro sports that we're now fortunate to have in this town," said BayHawks team president Matt Bresee. "Being an Erie native, I fondly recall attending Wave games as a kid so it will be fun to relive some of that history for a day."
The team will wear unique uniforms for the Feb. 22 contest, paying homage to Erie's former professional basketball team. The Erie Wave logo will be prominently displayed on the front of the jersey, as well as on the bottom right of the shorts. Beneath the players' last name sits the Boys and Girls Club of Erie County logo. Game-worn uniforms will be auctioned to benefit the Boys and Girls Club of Erie County.
A staple of the Erie Wave was the dance team, cleverly named the "Erieestibles." In the spirit of Erie's Hardwood Classic Night, the BayHawks dance team will be renamed to the Erieestibles for the day.
Erie sports historian, John Kovacs, will have on display at the game several Erie sports artifacts, including some Erie Wave items.
Founded in 1987 as the International Basketball League, the league changed its name to the World Basketball League prior to the start of the 1988 season. The WBL had teams that stretched throughout the United States and Canada. One of the main distinctions of the World Basketball League was the unique rule that players could not be taller than 6-5, a rule that was later changed to 6-7 before the 1992 season.
Notable players of the World Basketball League include current ESPN basketball analyst Tim Legler (Youngstown Pride-1990), veteran NBA assistant coach and current New York Knicks assistant coach Keith Smart (Worcester Counts-1989, Youngstown Pride-1990, Halifax Windjammers-1991), and the 1997 NBA Six Man of the Year John Starks (Memphis Rockers-1990).
Tickets for Erie's Hardwood Classic Night can be found online at eriebayhawks.com or at the Erie Insurance Arena box office.
Images from this story
Erie BayHawks "Erie Wave" uniforms
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 1, 2019
- Trent Jr. Sinks Skyforce - Texas Legends
- Austin Spurs Fall to Long Island Nets 131-116 - Austin Spurs
- Wolves Dominate South Bay in Home Return - Iowa Wolves
- Warriors Fall to Blue 116-102; Both Teams Now Tied for Best Record in NBA G League - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Go-Go Edge Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- South Bay Drops Road Game in Iowa - South Bay Lakers
- Baulkman's Career Night Helps Knicks' Second Half Stymie Drive, 110-103 - Westchester Knicks
- Mad Ants Finish off Raptors 905 in Tight Affair on Friday Night - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws Fall in OT - Maine Celtics
- Drive Fall to the Knicks at Home Friday Night - Grand Rapids Drive
- Head Coach Joseph Blair and Isaiah Hartenstein Earn NBA G League Monthly Honors - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Cavaliers Assign Kobi Simmons to Canton Charge - Cleveland Charge
- BayHawks to Play as the "Erie Wave" for One Night - Erie BayHawks
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu and Lonnie Walker IV to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Detroit Pistons Assign Henry Ellenson to the Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Westchester and Grand Rapids Square off Friday - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.