Battle Creek Takes Rubber Match in Comeback Fashion against Green Bay
The Bombers (27-31, 11-12) come out victorious Sunday at C.O. Brown with a 7-6 win over the Green Bay Bullfrogs (26-32, 10-12).
The win evened up the season series with the Bullfrogs 4-4 and gave Battle Creek their second win in the last three games.
Green Bay scored first off starting pitcher, Patrick Hohlfeld, who made his first start for Battle Creek. The Bullfrogs scored two runs on just one hit and two errors; both runs were unearned.
Hohlfeld pitched six innings and gave up just three runs on four hits while walking just three Bullfrogs and striking out four.
The Green Bay lead didn't last long as Battle Creek scored four runs on four hits off Bullfrogs' starting pitcher, Cody Norman. Jordan Swiss knocked in Mike Brown with an RBI single, Zach Gartner scored Alec Cargin with a sacrifice fly and Riley Tirotta drove in Swiss and Henderson with a two-RBI double.
The Bullfrogs cut the lead to 4-3 after Keaton Smith walked and came around to score on a balk and two wild pitches. Hohlfeld settled in from that point on and held Green Bay to no runs on just two hits in innings three through six.
The Bombers added a run in the bottom of the fifth inning as Brown doubled and Swiss singled him in for his second RBI of the game.
Brett Manis relieved Hohlfeld in the top of the seventh inning and Green Bay exploded for three runs on two hits and two walks off Manis. Preston Pavlica delivered a two-RBI double to tie the game at five runs apiece, and Andre Antone gave the Bullfrogs a lead with an RBI groundout.
Down 6-5 heading into the bottom of the eighth, Battle Creek scored twice off relief pitcher, Adam Bunnell, to take the lead. With the bases loaded, Drake Osborn drove in Gartner and Tirotta with a two-RBI single.
Osborn's single ended up being the game-winner as Kevin Hahn closed the game and got the win for the Bombers. Hahn pitched two scoreless innings to earn his fourth victory of the year.
Battle Creek travels to Lakeshore to take on the Chinooks Monday. First pitch is set for 7:35 EST.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 30, 2018
- Bucks Drop 8-4 Opener in Bismarck - Waterloo Bucks
- Rox Return Home, Win Fourth Straight - St. Cloud Rox
- Applegate Leads Bullfrogs to Narrow Victory at Home - Green Bay Booyah
- Honkers Fall in Duluth - Rochester Honkers
- Dock Spiders Stumble vs. Mallards - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Drop First Game in Kalamazoo - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Place Your Bids for the Thrivent Financial Jersey Auction - Willmar Stingers
- Northwoods League Announces 2018 Major League Dreams Showcase Rosters - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Culliver & Hueth Named to NWL Major League Dreams Showcase Roster - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Head into Road Trip with Walk-Off Win Energy - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Four Players, Al Newman to Represent Rox at 2018 Dreams Showcase - St. Cloud Rox
- Three Bullfrogs Selected for Major League Dreams Showcase - Green Bay Booyah
- Dock Spiders Homestand Highlights (July 30 - August 3) - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Battle Creek Takes Rubber Match in Comeback Fashion against Green Bay - Battle Creek Bombers
- Three Dock Spiders Selected to Play in NWL Major League Dreams Showcase - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Three Honkers Selected to the Major League Dream Showcase - Rochester Honkers
- Seven Mallards Chosen for Major League Dreams Showcase - Madison Mallards
- Northwoods League Announces 2018 Major League Dreams Showcase Rosters - Northwoods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Battle Creek Bombers Stories
- Bombers' Outfield Takes Shape
- Bombers Announce Mike Ruppenthal as New Skipper
- Battle Creek Bombers Announce 2019 Schedule
- McCraith Throws Eight Scoreless Innings; Battle Creek Wins Tenth Straight Game
- Bombers Win Season Series with Rafters After Fourth Straight Sweep