Bats Break No-No Late, Fizzle in 7th
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Two baseball games and a hot dog eating contest came down to the wire as the Louisville Bats were halted in a game-tying rally on a ranging play up the middle in Game 1 and overtaken in on a four-run outburst in the final inning of Game 2 during a doubleheader sweep by the Memphis Redbirds Wednesday afternoon at Louisville Slugger Field.
The 2021 Bats Hot Dog Eating Contest was also settled late, as online contest selection Brett Bohn defeated Dwight Witten of iHeartMedia in a sudden death "Hot Dog Off" between games of the double header.
Bats Game 1 starter Riley O'Brien scattered four hits with six strikeouts over 5.0 scoreless innings. He allowed only one hit for extra bases - a double to Lars Nootbaar - and now owns a 2.25 ERA with 20 strikeouts in four starts during the month of July.
In extras, Memphis' automatic runner scored during a close play at first base that ultimately spelled the difference in the Redbirds' 1-0 win.
Louisville native Austin Warner started at Louisville Slugger Field for the first time of his pro career for Memphis in Game 2 of the twin-bill. He paced a near-no-hit game with his 3.0 shutout innings and departed with four strikeouts and a no-decision,
Alejo Lopez broke up the no-hit bid on a double in the bottom of the sixth and Jose Barrero extended his hit streak seven straight games with a two-run bomb later in the inning to give the Bats a 3-1 lead.
Memphis plated four in the top of the seventh, making the most of a miscue at shortstop that potentially could have been converted into a double play to end the game.
Chris Okey doubled home De Leon in the bottom of the seventh before Connor Jones shut the door for his fifth save.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 22, 2021
- Late Game Heroics Again, Saints Score Three in Ninth for 7-5 Win over Storm Chasers - St. Paul Saints
- Buffalo Uses Seven-Run Eighth Inning to Top Syracuse, 10-4, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Blanked by Rochester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs fall to WooSox on Thursday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Bash Knights 5-3 - Durham Bulls
- History: Redbirds Win Their 12th Straight Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds and Jumbo Shrimp Postponed - Nashville Sounds
- Jumbo Shrimp, Sounds Rained out Thursday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-33) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (37-29) - Indianapolis Indians
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 22, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Columbus Uses Three Solo Home Runs to Defeat I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Tides to Host a Second "The Office" Night on August 25 - Featuring Creed Bratton - Norfolk Tides
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 22, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 2021 Bisons Tickets on Sale Monday: All Games Only $10 - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett Stripers Award $2,500 July Grant to Gwinnett Coalition - Gwinnett Stripers
- July 22 Game Notes: Iowa at Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Bats Break No-No Late, Fizzle in 7th - Louisville Bats
- Saints Spoil Witt Jr.'s Sensational Night; Chasers Fail to Complete Comeback - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.