Columbus Uses Three Solo Home Runs to Defeat I-Cubs
COLUMBUS, OH - The Iowa Cubs (27-38) surrendered a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth to the Columbus Clippers (29-37), losing 4-3, Thursday at Huntington Park.
Oscar Gonzalez opened the scoring in the second inning, hitting an RBI double that drove in Wilson Ramos to give Columbus a 1-0 lead. Nolan Jones would add to their lead in the third, with his third solo home run in as many games this series.
Joe Biagini threw five innings of three-hit ball, walking three batters and striking out five. He held the Clippers off the board after the third inning home run, allowing Iowa's offense to get back in the game.
They did so in the fifth, tying the game 2-2 on RBI singles from Ian Miller and Abiatal Avelino. The game stayed there until the bottom of the eighth inning, when Owen Miller hit a solo home run off of Matt Swarmer, giving Columbus a 3-2 lead.
Iowa got the run back in the top of the ninth, sending the game to the bottom of the frame tied 3-3. Ben Leeper entered the game for Iowa and the first batter he faced, Trenton Brooks, crushed a solo home run, giving Columbus a 4-3 win.
- Matt Swarmer pitched in relief for the first time this season with Iowa, pitching 3.0 innings, allowing one earned run on a solo home run. Swarmer gave up four hits and didn't walk or strike out a batter.
- With Trenton Brooks' walk-off home run in the ninth inning, Columbus has now hit 11 home runs against Iowa this series.
- The loss marked Ben Leeper's first Triple-A loss of his career, he was 1-0 with a 1.23 ERA in 12 games with Iowa entering the appearance.
- With another solo home run today, Nolan Jones has now hit four home runs in his last four games against Iowa, dating back to the final game of their last series, on Sunday, June 13.
Iowa and Columbus will face off for game four of the series tomorrow night, with first pitch set for 6:05 pm CT, Friday at Huntington Park. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 22, 2021
- Late Game Heroics Again, Saints Score Three in Ninth for 7-5 Win over Storm Chasers - St. Paul Saints
- Buffalo Uses Seven-Run Eighth Inning to Top Syracuse, 10-4, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Blanked by Rochester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs fall to WooSox on Thursday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Bash Knights 5-3 - Durham Bulls
- History: Redbirds Win Their 12th Straight Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds and Jumbo Shrimp Postponed - Nashville Sounds
- Jumbo Shrimp, Sounds Rained out Thursday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-33) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (37-29) - Indianapolis Indians
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 22, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Columbus Uses Three Solo Home Runs to Defeat I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Tides to Host a Second "The Office" Night on August 25 - Featuring Creed Bratton - Norfolk Tides
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 22, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 2021 Bisons Tickets on Sale Monday: All Games Only $10 - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett Stripers Award $2,500 July Grant to Gwinnett Coalition - Gwinnett Stripers
- July 22 Game Notes: Iowa at Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Bats Break No-No Late, Fizzle in 7th - Louisville Bats
- Saints Spoil Witt Jr.'s Sensational Night; Chasers Fail to Complete Comeback - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.