Banwart Dominant as Wingnuts Take Series
Sioux City, IA - The Wichita Wingnuts were able to secure the series victory over the Sioux City Explorers with the 3-0 shutout win.
Travis Banwart (6-3) lead the way for Wichita as he tossed 8 innings of shut out baseball. Scattering only 3 hits and walking just one batter as he struck out 7 in the game. Banwart in his time on the mound allowed only one Explorer to reach second base. And the three hits that he allowed were all singles. For Banwart it matched his outing against Sioux Falls on July 28th when he went 8, 3 hit, shut out innings in a win over the Canaries.
The three hits for Sioux City tied a season low as they collected only 3 hits in a loss to Gary SouthShore back on June 24th in a rain shortened 7 inning game. This was also the third time they had been shut out on the season, as that game against Gary was the last time that it happened and the other instance was on June 12th against Kansas City.
Wichita was able to break through in the third as Leo Vargas would reach on a fielders choice. He would advance to second after a walk to Logan Watkins, and then score as Zach Nehrir grounded into a fielders choice but a throwing error by the Explorers second baseman Jay Baum allowed Vargas to score from third and give Wichita a 1-0 lead.
Wichita again scored in the fifth as Vargas this time reached on a double and was immediately brought home by a Watkins single. Watkins had his second straight three hit performance.
Wichita scored their third and final run in the seventh as Nehrir got on with a two out base hit. And was running on the pitch as Abel Nieves lifted a base hit to right center field and Nehrir with his good speed was able to score from first on the play and make it 3-0 Wingnuts.
All three runs came against Explorers starter Luis Mateo (9-4) who was good for Sioux City once again but was saddled with the loss. Mateo tossed his fifth straight quality start tonight as he went 7 innings and allowed 3 runs, 2 earned on 10 hits, walking just 2 and striking out 7 batters.
Sioux City will look to avoid the sweep on Wednesday against Wichita as the Explorers during the 2018 season have yet to lose three games in a row or be swept. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 8, 2018
- Tough Night at the Office: RailCats Baffled by Lincoln Lefty Wooten - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Canaries Win Thriller over St. Paul to Take Series - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Tie It Late, Lose It Late, 10-7 to Canaries - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Add Left-Hander Bernardino - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wheelchair Softball World Series Coming to T-Bones Stadium - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Lose to Chicago in a Dogfight - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Drop Tight One in Kansas City - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Pugh's Home Run Sinks Saltdogs in 12th - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Banwart Dominant as Wingnuts Take Series - Sioux City Explorers
- Pugh's 12th Inning Walk-Off Blast Lifts Gary to 2-1 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Timely Hitting Helps Birds Knock off St. Paul - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Banwart Carves up Explorers to Secure Series Win - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.