AirHogs Drop Tight One in Kansas City
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - The Texas AirHogs dropped a tight one in Kansas City Tuesday, falling to the T-Bones 6-4 despite outhitting them 10-8.
RHP Cody White (0-1) made his first professional start, allowing four runs over the first two innings. He settled in though, posting scoreless frames in the third, fourth and fifth before exiting following a solo homer in the sixth.
The AirHogs rallied from the early 4-0 deficit with an RBI single by Greg Golson in the second, a clutch two-RBI base hit by Han Xiao in the third and a ripped two-out double in the fourth by Casio Grider to even the score at 4-4.
The tenor of the contest changed in the third when an infield single by Dillon Thomas banged off the leg of Kansas City starter Barrett Astin in the third to load the bases. Astin exited with injury and gave way to a parade of T-Bones relief men.
The AirHogs failed to break through after the fourth. The T-Bones tagged White for a run in the sixth and added an unearned run against Tyler Matzek in the seventh. Carlos Contreras struck out the side in the eighth.
Casio Grider led the way offensively, reaching base four times and finishing with three hits, including two doubles plus an RBI. The game was the best of the season for newcomer Han Xiao, who finished 2 for 3 with two RBIS, a walk, a stolen base, and a run scored. Fellow newcomer Jesse Baker added a single and a run scored.
Jeff Lowery (1-0) picked up the win for the T-Bones. Cody Winiarski earned his eighth save.
Texas (19-55) closes the series vs. Kansas City (48-26) tomorrow. RHP Zhang Haonan (0-0, 0.00 ERA) is expected to start for the AirHogs. The T-Bones are expected to starter RHP Hunter Adkins (5-3, 3.49 ERA). A live broadcast of the game will be available at mixlr.com/TXAirHogs.
The Texas AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles will travel to Lincoln Thursday-Sunday and return home August 14 vs. Cleburne. Tickets for all home games are available. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter and Facebook @TXAirHogs.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 8, 2018
- Tough Night at the Office: RailCats Baffled by Lincoln Lefty Wooten - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Canaries Win Thriller over St. Paul to Take Series - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Tie It Late, Lose It Late, 10-7 to Canaries - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Add Left-Hander Bernardino - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wheelchair Softball World Series Coming to T-Bones Stadium - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Lose to Chicago in a Dogfight - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Drop Tight One in Kansas City - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Pugh's Home Run Sinks Saltdogs in 12th - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Banwart Dominant as Wingnuts Take Series - Sioux City Explorers
- Pugh's 12th Inning Walk-Off Blast Lifts Gary to 2-1 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Timely Hitting Helps Birds Knock off St. Paul - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Banwart Carves up Explorers to Secure Series Win - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.