Banks Locks up Beavers with Six-Hit Shutout
Josh Banks twirled a six-hit shutout in his return to Portland and Drew Locke had three doubles and two RBIs as the Round Rock Express opened a four-game series with the Portland Beavers with a 3-0 win Tuesday night at PGE Park.
Banks (9-8), who led the Beavers (48-76) in wins and strikeouts in 2009 and also played for Portland in 2008, held his former club to six hits and a walk in his first career shutout. The Baltimore, Md., native faced just five batters over the minimum and struck out one in his second complete game of the year.
Locke scored the Express's (51-73) first run after doubling in the top of the first and drove in two runs in the eighth with his third double of the game. J.B. Shuck had three hits and threw out two base runners at the plate to preserve the shutout.
Cedric Hunter had two hits and Mike Baxter kept his hot streak rolling with his eighth triple of the year for the Beavers.
Cesar Ramos (4-6) was strong for most of his 7 1/3 innings for the Beavers but ran into trouble in the eighth. Ramos, who was four over the minimum through seven frames, gave up all three runs on seven hits and two walks to remain winless at PGE Park this season. He has taken all six of his losses at home.
With two out and the bases empty in the first, Locke stroked his first double. After Chris Shelton walked, Oswaldo Navarro singled to right to score Locke. Shelton, trying to go from first to third on the play, was thrown out by three steps at third by Baxter.
In the bottom of the first, Baxter laced a two-out triple to left-center. When the center fielder Shuck overthrew third, Baxter raced home, but was tagged out by catcher Edwin Bellorin.
The Beavers threatened again in the fourth, as Kyle Phillips walked with one out. Aaron Cunningham doubled to the right-center gap but the relay beat Phillips to the plate. Josh Barfield would ground out to end the inning.
Ramos gave up singles to Banks and Shuck in the eighth and was lifted in favor of Luis Perdomo, who, two batters later, allowed both runs to score on Locke's third double of the evening.
The Beavers and Express continue their series Wednesday night at PGE Park at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Former Portland Trail Blazers star and two-time NBA All-Star Terry Porter threw out the ceremonial first pitch before the game ... Baxter ranks third in the PCL in triples ... shortstop Tommy Manzella, who is with Round Rock while on a rehab assignment from the Houston Astros, went 0-for-4 and grounded into two double plays.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 17, 2010
- Carter, Taylor Collect Big Hits In - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Express Blank Portland 3-0 - Round Rock Express
- Banks Locks up Beavers with Six-Hit Shutout - Portland Beavers
- Aces Fall Behind Early, Lose 10-4 to RedHawks - Reno Aces
- Z's Down 51s on Canada Night 8-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Take Series Opener from Sky Sox, 7-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Salt Lake Rallies by Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers, Mariners Extend Player Development Contract - Tacoma Rainiers
- Express Fall 7-6 To Rainiers In 10 Innings - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Walk Off With Win in Extras - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss