Banks Lifts Winston to 2-1 Win in Buies Creek
BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Thanks to a dominant outing from Dash starter Tanner Banks, Winston-Salem pulled out a 2-1 victory over Buies Creek at Jim Perry Stadium on Wednesday night.
Banks (1-2), who was a Carolina League All-Star last year with the Dash (22-17), tossed seven shutout innings, allowing five hits while striking out five. The left-hander also registered just 77 pitches in the effort, throwing 54 strikes. The 26-year-old is now 3-1 with a 1.91 ERA in five career starts against the Astros (23-16).
Winston-Salem and Buies Creek traded zeroes through the first four innings before the Dash took the lead for good in the fifth against Brandon Bielak (3-3).
With one out, Zach Remillard singled to center, as part of his fifth multi-hit effort in his last seven games. The next batter, Ti'Quan Forbes, ripped an RBI triple into the right-center field gap to bring home Remillard and give the Dash a 1-0 edge. Forbes, who finished 2-for-4, is now 13-for-28 over his last seven contests. On the next pitch, Mitch Roman stroked a run-scoring single to center to make it a 2-0 game.
Following a 43-minute rain delay after the final out of the seventh inning, Dash were retired in order in the top of the eighth, and Matt Foster replaced Banks in the bottom of the frame. Alfredo Angarita cut the deficit to one on an RBI double down the left-field line, but Foster escaped further trouble.
With two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Yermin Mercedes gunned down Duarte at second on a stolen base attempt to seal the win and Foster's second save of the season.
Winston-Salem will wrap up its three-game set against Buies Creek in Thursday's 6 p.m. rubber match. The Dash send right-hander Dylan Cease (4-2, 3.67 ERA) to the hill against Astros right-hander Gabriel Valdez (0-1, 7.36 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 5:45 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action at WSJS Sports (600 AM & 101.5 FM), wsjssports.com and the TuneIn Radio App.
The Dash's next homestand begins on Monday against the Buies Creek Astros. Promotions during the four-game homestand from May 21-24 include a Free Food Tuesday with free hot dogs, hamburgers and cheeseburgers available through the seventh inning for the normal price of admission, an Education Day on Wednesday and a Lowes Foods Thirsty Thursday with select beers available for $1 through the seventh inning. For tickets and more information, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 16, 2018
- Neuhaus Homers in 4-2 Loss to Wood Ducks in Kinston - Carolina Mudcats
- Banks Lifts Winston to 2-1 Win in Buies Creek - Winston-Salem Dash
- May 16 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Sox Rained out Again at P-Nats - Salem Red Sox
- P-Nats and Red Sox Postponed Again in Woodbridge - Potomac Nationals
- Blue Rocks Split Doubleheader with Pelicans - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Birds Split Doubleheader Behind Offensive Explosion in Finale - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (May 16 at Buies Creek) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys and Hillcats Washed Out - Frederick Keys
- Hillcats and Keys Postponed on Wednesday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- INF Vimael Machin assigned to Double-A Tennessee - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, May 16 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Hillcats Outslug Keys to Sixth Straight Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Hillcats Top Keys in Late Night Slugfest - Frederick Keys
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.