Aviators Use Big 7th Inning to Bury Boomers
Schaumburg, ILLINOIS - The Rockford Aviators made it 2 in a row Friday night, downing the Boomers in Schaumburg by a final of 7-2. Anthony Renteria was 3-for-3 with a homerun and 2 RBI in the contest, and Rockford starter Tony Rizzotti was able to notch his 6th win by spinning 6 innings of 1-run ball.
The Boomers drew blood first, putting together a couple of base hits to score off Rizzotti in the first. The Aviator hurler would not allow a run the rest of the way though, holding the Boomers to just their single tally.
Anthony Renteria gave Rockford its first lead by blasting a 2-run homer to left center in the 5th. The dinger was Renteria's second extra base hit of the game off Boomers starter Taylor Thurber. Rizzotti would induce a key double play with men on the corners in the bottom half of the 5th, and the Aviators led 2-1 heading into the 7th.
That's when the Rockford bats really woke up. The Aves capitalized for 5 runs and 5 hits off Thurber and 2 relievers in the inning. Elijah Trail, Collin Shaw, Justin Fox, and Josh Davis all had RBI in the frame, inflating the lead to 7-1. Trail's ground rule double drove in the first run of the inning, and Shaw's 2 RBI single kept the ball rolling. Fox doubled home a run and Davis picked up an RBI on a groundout to finish off the 5-run explosion.
It was the second straight win for the Aviators, and the second game in a row in which they put up at least 6 runs and 10 hits.
They meet the Boomers again tomorrow starting at 6 pm in Schaumburg. Kyle Brueggemann is expected to start for the Aviators against Boomer RHP Eddie Cody.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 24, 2015
- Aviators Use Big 7th Inning to Bury Boomers - Rockford Aviators
- Brown Powers Grizzlies to Win with Go-Ahead Homer in Ninth - Gateway Grizzlies
- Big Sixth Leads to Slammers 7-2 Win - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Drop Game One in Joliet 7-2 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Pitching Shines Again for Freedom - Florence Y'alls
- Boomers Falter in Homestand Opener - Schaumburg Boomers
- Jose Barraza's Grand Slam pushes Crushers past Beach Bums in series opener - Lake Erie Crushers
- Otters Defeat Wild Things in Series Opener 8-1 - Washington Wild Things
- CornBelters' Comeback Countered with 9th Inning Homer in Loss - Normal CornBelters
- Miners Drop Pitcher's Duel in Florence - Southern Illinois Miners
- Phillips, Walch Will Otters to 8-1 Win - Evansville Otters
- July 24 Florence Freedom Game Notes - Florence Y'alls
- Normal CornBelters Game Tonight - Normal CornBelters
- Miners Blank Grizzlies in Rubber Game of Series - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.