Audi Field to Host U.S. Men's National Team in Inaugural Match in CONCACAF Nations League on October 11 against Cuba
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Soccer Federation has selected Audi Field to host the inaugural match of the Concacaf Nations League for the U.S. Men's National Team when they face Cuba on Oct. 11 in in Washington, D.C. Kickoff in the nation's capital is set for 7 PM ET, and the match will be broadcast live on FS1 (coverage starting at 6:30 PM ET), UniMas and TUDN.
With the participants for the final round of qualifying for the 2022 FIFA World Cup to be determined based on FIFA rankings at the conclusion of this tournament, Nations League's matches have added significance for their impact on the rankings.
"We are excited to be competing in the inaugural Concacaf Nations League where not only is a championship on the line but we are able to play meaningful games in a competitive format. We have seen how valuable the Nations League has been for Europe, and for this region it's another important opportunity to raise the level of competition," U.S. MNT head coach Gregg Berhalter said. "As a team that represents the United States, there is something incredibly meaningful about playing in the nation's capital, and we aim to produce not only a good result but a good performance."
The U.S. Men's National Team is joined by Canada and Cuba in Group A of the 2019-20 Concacaf Nations League A. Four days after the opener in D.C., the USMNT takes on Canada at BMO Field in Toronto. The USMNT will play its remaining group games during the November FIFA international window.
Tickets go on sale to the public Friday, Aug. 23, at 10 AM ET through ussoccer.com and at ticketmaster.com. [Note: Tickets are not sold at Audi Field except on the day of the event.] Groups of 20 or more can order directly at ussoccer.com starting on Monday, Aug. 26, at 10 AM ET. Ultimate Fan Tickets (special VIP packages that include a premium ticket, a custom-made official U.S. National Team jersey with name and number, VIP access to the field before the game, and other unique benefits) are also available exclusively through ussoccer.com.
Coaches Circle and Presidents Circle members supporting the U.S. Soccer Development Fund can receive individual customer support and concierge services for their ticketing needs. Click here or contact email@example.com for more information.
As the official payment technology sponsor of U.S. Soccer, Visa® has made special arrangements for Visa cardholders to participate in an advance sale of tickets for this match prior to sale to the general public. This advance sale will take place from Thursday, Aug. 22, at 10 AM ET until Friday, Aug. 23, at 8 AM ET through the purchase link at ticketmaster.com. [Note: ticketmaster.com will only list the Visa presale on its order page during the time frame listed above.] As the preferred card of U.S. Soccer, Visa will be the only payment method accepted during the Visa presale. Terms and conditions apply.
Overall, the USA holds a 10-1-1 advantage all-time against Cuba in a series that dates back to 1947.The team's current 10-game winning streak against Los Leones del Caribe began with a 5-2 World Cup Qualifying victory back on Sept. 21, 1949 in Mexico City, marking the team's longest current streak against a single opponent in terms of both games (12) and years (70). Most recently, the USA played an historic friendly in Havana, recording a 2-0 shutout on Oct. 7, 2016.
IN OUR NATION'S CAPITAL
After playing 24 matches at historic RFK Stadium -the venue which hosted more USMNT matches than any other in the United States -the U.S. makes its second appearance at Audi Field, the home of D.C. United. This is the third occasion the area has hosted USA-Cuba. On Oct. 11, 2008, a pair of goals from DaMarcus Beasley paced the U.S. to a 6-1 win in World Cup Qualifying. In the quarterfinal of the 2015 Concacaf Gold Cup, the MNT put up another six-pack with Clint Dempsey recording a hat trick during the 6-0 shutout in nearby Baltimore.
THE NATIONS LEAGUE LAUNCHES
The new tournament was created to maximize the quality, quantity and frequency of competitive matches for all of the confederation's 41 Member Associations.There are three Leagues (A,B,C), with each League consisting of four groups.At the end of the round-robin competition, the League A and B teams that finish last in their groups will be relegated to the lower league, while the group winners in Leagues B and C will be promoted to the higher league for the next edition of the competition.The four group winners from League A will advance to the Knockout Round, where a semifinal and final will be played during the June 2020 FIFA international dates to crown the 2019-20 Concacaf Nations League champion.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 19, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 19, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Voted MLS Player of the Week - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Audi Field to Host U.S. Men's National Team in Inaugural Match in CONCACAF Nations League on October 11 against Cuba - D.C. United
- Trade Alert: Turn in Crew Gear, Get 30% off at FCC Store - FC Cincinnati
- Playoff Picture | The Race Tightens - Orlando City SC
- MLS Heineken Rivalry Week to Showcase Fiercest and Newest Rivalries from Coast to Coast - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 19, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Playoff Picture | City in the Mix - Orlando City SC
- 23-Player Rosters Announced for August 20 Leagues Cup Semifinal Matches in Houston and Los Angeles - MLS
- Timbers Fall 2-0 to Atlanta United FC at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Beats Portland, Moves to Top of Eastern Conference - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Announce Partnership with EVERFI to Inspire D.C. Students' Interest in STEM Careers
- D.C. United Sign Yamil Asad to a Contract Beginning in 2020 Season
- D.C. United Defeat Portland 1-0 at Providence Park
- Two D.C. United Academy Coaches Kick off Yearlong Educational Program in Partnership with French Football Federation
- D.C. United Draw Club Puebla Friendly 1-1 in Friendly