Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 19, 2019
The San Jose Earthquakes fell 2-1 to Sporting Kansas City on Saturday night at Children's Mercy Park. Forward Chris Wondolowski netted San Jose's lone goal on a corner kick taken by midfielder Cristian Espinoza. Wondolowski's goal, his 10th of the season and 150th as an Earthquakes player, gave him 10+ goals for the 10th consecutive season.
The Earthquakes look to bounce back with a pair of matches this week. San Jose's three-match road series concludes on Wednesday, August 21 (7:30 p.m. PT; UniMas/KNBR 1050/1370 KZSF) when they face LAFC at Banc of California Stadium. The Earthquakes then host Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday, August 24 (6:45 p.m. PT; Telemundo 48/KNBR 1050/1370 KZSF) at Avaya Stadium. Tickets for fans traveling to Los Angeles can be purchased here. Tickets for Saturday's home match are available here.
As it Stands
San Jose now holds a 11-9-5 record this season and sits in sixth place in the Western Conference, two points behind fifth place Seattle. The Earthquakes are now 11-5-5 since the start of April.
Consistency is Key
Forward Chris Wondolowski scored his 10th goal of the season on Saturday. He has now scored 10+ goals in 10 consecutive seasons, an MLS record.
Wondolowski now has 150 goals in an Earthquakes uniform and 154 goals in his MLS career. He holds the MLS record for career goals and most goals for one club, among others.
Midfielder Cristian Espinoza recorded his 10th assist of the season on Saturday. He is the first Earthquakes player with 10 or more assists in a season since Marvin Chavez in 2012 (13).
A New Face
Forward Andres Rios made his MLS debut on Saturday, entering as a substitute for Judson in the 68th minute.
The First Time
San Jose will be seeking their first-ever victory against LAFC on Wednesday. The Quakes are currently 0-3-0 against the SoCal side in MLS play.
Quakes midfielder Judson will be serving a one-match suspension for yellow card accumulation on Wednesday.
VS. VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC
Home Field Advantage
The Earthquakes will put a 10-match home unbeaten streak on the line when they host Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday (8-0-2). The Quakes have earned 26 of a possible 30 points in that stretch.
When the Quakes made a trip to BC Place in July, they outshot Vancouver Whitecaps FC 32-6, tying the club's single-game shots record set the previous week against the LA Galaxy. The Quakes defeated Vancouver 3-1 on goals by Chris Wondolowski, Vako and Magnus Eriksson.
San Jose has only lost two of their last nine matchups against Vancouver (3-2-4) dating back to 2015.
RENO 1868 FC UPDATE
Reno 1868 FC forwards Danny Musovski and Corey Hertzog each tallied a goal in Saturday night's 4-2 defeat to Western Conference leaders Phoenix Rising FC at Casino Arizona Field. Hertzog is now at 12 goals this season, moving him into a tie for fourth among all USL Championship players in goals scored this season.
Earthquakes goalkeeper Matt Bersano and midfielder Gilbert Fuentes were both featured in the Starting XI for Reno. Midfielder Siad Haji also entered the match as substitute for midfielder Raul Mendiola in the in the 64th minute.
Reno will not be competing this week due to a bye. 1868 FC are back in action on Saturday, August 31 when they host Portland Timbers 2 at Greater Nevada Field. Tickets can be purchased. The first 1,000 fans through the gate will receive a free Reno1868 FC scarf.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 19, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 19, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Voted MLS Player of the Week - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Audi Field to Host U.S. Men's National Team in Inaugural Match in CONCACAF Nations League on October 11 against Cuba - D.C. United
- Trade Alert: Turn in Crew Gear, Get 30% off at FCC Store - FC Cincinnati
- Playoff Picture | The Race Tightens - Orlando City SC
- MLS Heineken Rivalry Week to Showcase Fiercest and Newest Rivalries from Coast to Coast - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 19, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Playoff Picture | City in the Mix - Orlando City SC
- 23-Player Rosters Announced for August 20 Leagues Cup Semifinal Matches in Houston and Los Angeles - MLS
- Timbers Fall 2-0 to Atlanta United FC at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Beats Portland, Moves to Top of Eastern Conference - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Limited Tickets Remain for Home Finale vs. Seattle on September 29
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 16, 2019
- Chris Wondolowski scores goal No. 158 of his MLS career in loss
- Quakes snap two-match winning streak
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 9, 2019