LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Voted MLS Player of the Week
LOS ANGELES - LA Galaxy forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 24th week of the 2019 MLS season.
Ibrahimovic recorded two braces last week, the first in a 2-0 Galaxy home victory over FC Dallas on Wednesday before scoring another two goals in a 2-2 draw against Seattle Sounders FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday. Ibrahimovic has tallied 20 goals, third most in the league, and three assists this season. LA sit third in the Western Conference with 41 points (13-11-2 overall record).
Facing FC Dallas, the Galaxy took a 1-0 lead in the 68th minute. Jurgen Skjelvik dished the ball off to Ibrahimovic in the center of the box, who then finished with a right-footed shot just inside the left post. Ibrahimovic gave the Galaxy a 2-0 lead in the 82nd minute when he converted a penalty kick goal.
Ibrahimovic helped LA pull even at 1-1 against Seattle on Saturday with a goal in the 45th minute. Sebastian Lletget sent a cross into the middle of the box where Ibrahimovic finished with a header to the far post. He completed his second-consecutive brace in the 65th minute to give the Galaxy a 2-1 lead after drawing a penalty and converting the opportunity with a right-footed shot.
The LA Galaxy host Cruz Azul in the Leagues Cup semifinals on Tuesday (7:30 p.m. PT, ESPN2/TUDN/TSN1/TSN4), before returning to regular season action when facing LAFC on Sunday (7:30 p.m. PT, FS1/FOX Deportes/FOX Sports App/TSN1).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2020 Major League Soccer season are now available. Season Ticket Members and Galaxy fans can go to lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2020 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. In addition to visiting lagalaxy.com/since96, fans can secure 2020 Season Ticket Memberships at Dignity Health Sports Park by visiting Galaxy HQ by section 103 at any LA Galaxy home game. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to purchase memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 19, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 19, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Voted MLS Player of the Week - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Audi Field to Host U.S. Men's National Team in Inaugural Match in CONCACAF Nations League on October 11 against Cuba - D.C. United
- Trade Alert: Turn in Crew Gear, Get 30% off at FCC Store - FC Cincinnati
- Playoff Picture | The Race Tightens - Orlando City SC
- MLS Heineken Rivalry Week to Showcase Fiercest and Newest Rivalries from Coast to Coast - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 19, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Playoff Picture | City in the Mix - Orlando City SC
- 23-Player Rosters Announced for August 20 Leagues Cup Semifinal Matches in Houston and Los Angeles - MLS
- Timbers Fall 2-0 to Atlanta United FC at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Beats Portland, Moves to Top of Eastern Conference - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Voted MLS Player of the Week
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 7, Sporting Kansas City 2 - Sunday, September 15, 2019
- Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Breaks LA Galaxy Single-Season Scoring Record
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Colorado Rapids 2 - Wednesday, September 11, 2019
- LA Galaxy to Host Lakers Night September 15 During Match vs. Sporting Kansas City