Atlanta United Foundation, MARTA, the City of Atlanta and Soccer in the Streets to Open StationSoccer Pitches at Lindbergh Station
ATLANTA â- The Atlanta United Foundation, Soccer in the Streets, MARTA and The City of Atlanta - Department of Planning announced today they have broken ground on StationSoccer's fourth location at Lindbergh MARTA Station. Officially named StationSoccer- Lindbergh, this location is unique to the Soccer in the Streets community as it will be located adjacent to the MARTA headquarters and is the first StationSoccer location on the northern part of the transit network. The plan is to launch the field in fall 2020.
"The Atlanta United Foundation is proud to be a part of the expansion of the StationSoccer initiative to the northside of the city," said Darren Eales, president of Atlanta United. "The launch of StationSoccer-Lindbergh is another example of the successful collaboration between AUF, Soccer in the Streets, and city officials to make soccer accessible to all. StationSoccer is an important and impactful project, and we look forward to continuing to support our community and grow the game of soccer for years to come."
"We are excited to keep building out the StationSoccer initiative and now be on the Northside of Atlanta," said Phil Hill, Executive Director of Soccer in the Streets. "The kids need us more than ever as we continue to provide underserved youth with new ways to thrive both on and off the field."
"MARTA is so proud of our partnership with Soccer in the Streets and the steady progress we're making toward the goal of a 10-station League of Stations," said MARTA General Manager and CEO Jeffrey Parker. "The world's first transit-based soccer league, Station Soccer is making a huge impact on the kids and families they coach and it epitomizes MARTA's commitment to the neighborhoods we serve."
Founding StationSoccer partners - Atlanta United Foundation, MARTA, and the City of Atlanta - are committed to the growth of StationSoccer over the long term. The StationSoccer - Lindbergh project is a result of a collaborative effort involving other partners including, âHKSâ, Musco Lighting,â âFieldTurfâ,â âandâ Deluxe Athletics.â Other local area partners that have committed to making this project successful are Rubenstein partners and Mercedes-Benz of Buckhead.
Sanjay Patel, Director of Strategic Projects for Soccer in the Streets added "âHaving already worked in this community, we look forward to adding more access to soccer and learning opportunities for local youth whilst growing the League of Stations.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 11, 2020
- Orlando City Falls in MLS Is Back Tournament Final - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Captures MLS Is Back Tournament Golden Boot Presented by Audi - Los Angeles FC
- Diego Rossi Captures MLS Is Back Tournament Golden Boot Presented by Audi - MLS
- What to Watch for in Nashville SC's 2020 Return Wednesday Night against FC Dallas - Nashville SC
- Atlanta United Foundation, MARTA, the City of Atlanta and Soccer in the Streets to Open StationSoccer Pitches at Lindbergh Station - Atlanta United FC
- Breaking Down Inter Miami's Matchups in Season Resumption - Inter Miami CF
- #FCDvNSH: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire FC Goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Chicago Fire
- MNUFC Loans Noah Billinglsey to Las Vegas - Minnesota United FC
- Red Bulls Add Samuel Tetteh on Loan from Red Bull Salzburg - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.