Atlanta United FC Takes Down CF Montréal
ATLANTA, Georgia - CF Montréal fell to Atlanta United FC 4-1, Saturday night at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
Atlanta took a first-half lead with goals from Xande Silva in the 30th minute and Thiago Almada in the 33rd minute. Ahmed Hamdi cut Montréal's deficit to one with his first goal of the season, his third in MLS, in the 40th minute.
Atlanta regained their two-goal cushion in the 46th minute with a strike from Giorgios Giakoumakis. Edwin Mosquera added a fourth goal for the home side in the 89th minute.
The Bleu-blanc-noir will play its next game on Saturday at Exploria Stadium where it will visit Orlando City SC at 7:30pm ET (MLS Season Pass, BPM Sports, TSN 690).
-Mathieu Choinière had his 24th start of the season. The midfielder tied his own club record for most games started by a homegrown player in one season
-Chinonso Offor played his 70th MLS game.
-Gabriele Corbo had his 15th consecutive start.
-Joel Waterman will be suspended for the next match after receiving a red card in the 87th minute.
Postgame comments from head coach Hernán Losada, Samuel Piette and Joel Waterman will be available here.
" We knew that it was going to be very complicated, but we created chances. It's a shame that we started the second half badly, to be honest, because the message at halftime was to stay focused and stay in the game until the end, because we know that Atlanta gives you opportunities to score. They concede a lot of goals, they score a lot of goals too, but it's a shame that the third goal came at the start of the second half. Once again, we're coming off a series of games, a difficult stadium, a difficult surface. Now it's a question of recharging our batteries to get to Orlando. Four finals, everything is possible and everything is in our hands."
"The mood remains positive even after this loss. We know we've got four games left, and our fate is in our own hands. So, we're going to stay positive. Of course, it's a shame to lose points we could have won at home. Today, we're not going to hide from saying that we don't deserve any points, but the points at home from the last two games before this one. We're staying positive and we know we should have had more points."
"At 2-0, we really weren't in the game and came back with the goal. We had some good moments offensively in the first half when we were able to isolate Lassi (Lappalainen) on the left and Zachary (Brault-Guillard) and let them do their one-on-ones. We created some half-chances, including the goal. So, at 2-1, yes, you go into the dressing room and you're still in the game, but you can feel that you're in trouble and that third goal quickly knocked the wind out of us. So, it's unfortunate."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 23, 2023
- FC Cincinnati Dominate, Defeat Charlotte FC 3-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Minnesota United Falls to St. Louis City SC - Minnesota United FC
- St. Louis CITY SC Records 2-1 Win on the Road Against Minnesota United FC - St. Louis City SC
- Atlanta United FC Takes Down CF Montréal - Club de Foot Montreal
- Houston Dynamo FC Fall on the Road to Kansas City - Houston Dynamo FC
- FC Dallas Draws Columbus 1-1 - FC Dallas
- Atlanta United Clinches Playoff Spot, Defeats CF Montreal 4-1 - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Earn 0-0 Tie in Philadelphia in 2022 MLS Cup Re-Match - Los Angeles FC
- Charlotte FC Lose on the Road at FC Cincinnati - Charlotte FC
- Blake Registers Eighth Clean Sheet Of Season - Philadelphia Union
- Captain Luciano Acosta Leads 3-0 FC Cincinnati Victory Over Charlotte FC - FC Cincinnati
- NYCFC vs. Toronto FC Postponed Due to Water Main Break - New York City FC
- Toronto FC Match against New York City FC Postponed Due to Water Main Break - Toronto FC
- The Assist: Orlando City SC vs. Inter Miami CF - September 24, 2023 - Orlando City SC
- Injury Report: Five Missing vs. Toronto - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- Fernando Álvarez Called up by Colombia U23 Team
- Three CF Montréal Academy Players to Train in Bologna
- CF Montréal Exercises Options on Four Players for the 2024 Season
- Contract Extension Announced for Forward Sunusi Ibrahim
- The Montreal Impact Foundation Launches Second Phase of Its Multisport Mini-Field Project