Atlanta United Defeats D.C. United 4-0
WASHINGTON D.C. - Atlanta United defeated D.C. United 4-0 Saturday night at Audi Field behind a brace from Jon Gallagher and goals from Brooks Lennon and Adam Jahn. Lennon and Emerson Hyndman each tallied two assists and Atlanta kept its fourth clean sheet and first on the road of the season, holding D.C. United without a shot on target.
Gallagher scored the opening goal in the fourth minute, finishing a nice attacking sequence from Atlanta. Jahn laid the ball off to Hyndman at midfield, who then played the ball wide to Lennon on the right wing. Lennon's cross found Gallagher making a run into the box and across his defender where he hit a first-time finish from the penalty spot into the bottom left corner of the goal.
Lennon doubled Atlanta's lead in the 41st minute. A Joseph Mora clearance fell to Lennon at the top of the box where the midfielder took one touch and blasted a left-footed strike into the far corner of the goal.
Gallagher finished a clever team move in the 65th minute with his second goal of the night. Jahn back-heeled a pass from Gallagher onto a run from Hyndman inside the box, who then squared the ball back to Gallagher where he was able to take a touch around D.C. goalkeeper Bill Hamid and finish. Lennon later delivered his second assist of the night with a pinpoint cross from the right wing to find Jahn in front of goal for the team's fourth. The forward directed a strong header past Hamid for his second goal of the season.
Atlanta United (5-8-2, 17 points) returns to action Wednesday, Oct. 7 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium against Orlando City SC (7:00 p.m., FOX Sports Southeast, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game, La Mejor).
Atlanta United 4, D.C. United 0
Shots: 12-9 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 4-0 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 3-3
Fouls committed: 21-14 Atlanta
Clearances: 16-13 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 85-82 DC
ATL - Jon Gallagher 4' (Brooks Lennon, Emerson Hyndman) HIGHLIGHT
ATL - Brooks Lennon 41' HIGHLIGHT
ATL - Jon Gallagher 65' (Emerson Hyndman, Adam Jahn) HIGHLIGHT
ATL - Adam Jahn 70' (Brooks Lennon, Franco Escobar) HIGHLIGHT
DC - Moses Nyeman 20' (yellow)
ATL - George Bello 29' (yellow)
ATL - Miles Robinson 37' (yellow)
ATL - Emerson Hyndman 43' (yellow)
DC - Frederic Brillant 85' (red)
DC - Yamil Asad 90+5' (yellow)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; George Bello (Edgar Castillo 78'), Anton Walkes, Miles Robinson (Jurgen Damm 78'), Franco Escobar; Jeff Larentowicz ©, Mo Adams (Laurence Wyke 81'), Emerson Hyndman; Brooks Lennon, Adam Jahn (Manuel Castro 84'), Jon Gallagher (Tyler Wolff 82')
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Eric Remedi, Fernando Meza, Jake Mulraney,
DC UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Bill Hamid; Chris Odoi Atsem, Frederic Brillant, Steven Birnbaum ©, Joseph Mora; Junior Moreno, Yamil Asad, Moses Nyeman (Kevin Paredes 45'), Griffin Yow (Julian Gressel 45'); Yordy Reyna (Donovan Pines 87'), Ola Kamara (Erik Sorga 67')
Substitutes not used: Chris Seitz, Federico Higuain, Gelmin Rivas, Earl Edwards Jr, Oniel Fisher
Joe Dickerson, (referee), Corey Parker (assistant), Mathew Nelson (assistant), Matt Franz, (fourth), Jorge Gonzalez (VAR).
Atlanta kept its fourth clean sheet of the season, first on the road and held D.C. without a shot on target.
Jon Gallagher scored his second and third MLS goals and now leads the team with three this season.
Brooks Lennon recorded his first two assists of the season and added his second goal.
Adam Jahn scored his second goal of the season.
Emerson Hyndman tallied two assists, which moves him into the team lead with four.
Jeff Larentowicz made his 432nd MLS Regular Season appearance, second all-time by a field player in MLS history behind Kyle Beckerman (493).
Larentowicz also started his 393rd MLS Regular Season match, third all-time by a field player behind Kyle Beckerman (459) and Chad Marshall (404).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 3, 2020
- MNUFC Back to Winning Ways with 2-0 Home Victory over FC Cincinnati - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting Earns 2-1 Win at Houston Following Pulido Double - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: Inter Miami Cf 2 - 3 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Joe Willis' Career-Best Sixth Clean Sheet Earns Resilient Nashville a Crucial Point at New England Revolution - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF Falls 2-3 to New York City FC - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United FC Downs FC Cincinnati - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Draws 2-2 with Columbus Crew SC at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Lose 4-0 to Atlanta United at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire FC Extend Unbeaten Streak to Three Games, Earn Hard-Fought Road Point Versus Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC (2) - Philadelphia Union (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Dynamo Fall to Sporting Kansas City 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Revolution and Nashville SC Play to Scoreless Draw - New England Revolution
- Impact Battles Chicago to 2-2- Draw - Montreal Impact
- Atlanta United Defeats D.C. United 4-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Union fall on the road to Toronto FC despite early goal from Sergio Santos - Philadelphia Union
- Red Bulls Drop Three Points to Orlando City - New York Red Bulls
- Lions Continue Unbeaten Run with 3-1 Win over New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Travels to Face Real Salt Lake Sunday Night at Rio Tinto Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC - October 3, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United's Match against New York City FC on October 7 Will Now Kickoff at 8 p.m. ET - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Take on LA Galaxy Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Hosts LAFC Sunday at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City Players to Join National Teams for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualification - Orlando City SC
- Nashville SC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Atlanta United Announces Provisional Roster for Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery
- MLS Unveils 2020 Best-Selling Jerseys; Josef Martinez Only Player to Rank Top-Three in Each of the Past Four Seasons
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC