Atlanta United Defeats Club America, Wins Campeones Cup
ATLANTA ( - Atlanta United defeated Club America 3-2 on Wednesday night to claim the 2019 Campeones Cup. In front of 40,128 fans at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta erased a second-half deficit with goals from Jeff Larentowicz and Josef Martinez. Emerson Hyndman scored the opening goal and Alec Kann shined in net, making four saves. Atlanta became the first MLS team to win Campeones Cup and just the second MLS team to beat a Liga MX team to win a trophy.
Hyndman opened the scoring in the fifth minute, finishing off a long buildup from Atlanta. Dion Pereira played the pivotal pass, tipping a ball forward into the box for Hyndman who drilled his left-footed shot into the far corner. Franco Escobar, Julian Gressel, Darlington Nagbe and Josef Martinez each had a pass in the sequence that started in Atlanta's half.
Club America answered eight minutes later as Renato Ibarra buried an equalizer. Andrés IbargÃ¼en played a ball in between two Atlanta defenders for Roger Martinez, who turned and dribbled to the end line before sending a ball across the mouth of the goal that Ibarra got on the end of. He slammed a right-footed shot off the crossbar that ricocheted in for the goal.
Video review awarded a penalty kick to Atlanta in the 41st minute, as it ruled Bruno Valdez fouled Pity Martinez inside of the box. Josef Martinez stepped up to take the penalty, but his attempt was saved by Oscar Jiménez.
America opened the second half scoring with a goal from Roger Martinez off a corner kick. Francisco Cordova sent the ball into the middle of the box and Martinez finished from close range.
But Atlanta answered immediately from Jeff Larentowicz, who sent a missile into the back of the net from 25 yards out a mere two minutes after America had taken the lead. America had appeared to the avoid the danger with a headed clearance out of the box. But it landed near Larentowicz, who took a touch before unleashing a rocket into the upper left corner.
Josef Martinez then gave Atlanta the lead six minutes later from the penalty spot. Florentin Pogba drew it as he was cleared out inside the 18-yard box by Guido Rodriguez in the 64th minute. Martinez stepped up this time and drilled his shot into the upper left corner.
Atlanta United (13-9-3, 42 points) returns to MLS action Sunday, Aug. 18 at Portland Timbers (10:00 p.m. EST, FS1, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Atlanta United 3, Club America 2
Shots: 17-15 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 10-6 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 8-4 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 21-21
Clearances: 20-14 America
Offside: 1-0 America
Possession: 58-42 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 78-71 Atlanta
ATL - Emerson Hyndman (Dion Pereira) 5' [HIGHLIGHT]
AME - Renato Ibarra (Roger Martinez) 13' [HIGHLIGHT]
AME - Roger Martinez (Francisco Cordova) 57' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Jeff Larentowicz 59' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Josef Martinez (penalty) 65' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Jeff Larentowicz (yellow) 28'
AME - Bruno Valdez (yellow) 41'
AME - Bruno Valdez (yellow, red) 72'
AME - Carlos Vargas (yellow) 80'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Alec Kann; Florentin Pogba, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez, Franco Escobar (Miles Robinson - 44'); Dion Pereira (Justin Meram - 66'), Darlington Nagbe, Jeff Larentowicz ©, Julian Gressel; Emerson Hyndman, Josef MartÃ-nez, Pity MartÃ-nez (Ezequiel Barco - 90+2').
Substitutes not used: Brad Guzan, Michael Parkhurst, Mo Adams, Hector Villalba.
CLUB AMERICA STARTING LINEUP
Oscar Jiménez; Carlos Vargas, Jorge Sánchez, Bruno Valdez, Paul Aguilar; Guido RodrÃ-guez, Andrés IbargÃ¼en (Israel Garcia - 90+2'), Sebastián Córdova (Leonel López - 83'), Renato Ibarra; Roger Martinez, Henry Martin (Nicolás Benedetti - 71').
Substitutes not used: Luis Zamudio, Emanuel Aguilera, Antonio López, Fernando González.
Joel Aguilar (referee), Juan Zumba (assistant), Walter López (assistant), Iván Arcides Barton Cisneros (fourth), José Carlos Rivero (VAR)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 15, 2019
- Match Preview: New York and New England Collide at Red Bull Arena on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- LAFC Loans Vassell to Phoenix Rising; Jakovic and Zelaya to Las Vegas Lights - Los Angeles FC
- Sun Country Airlines Partners with Minnesota United for Official Fan Charter to Championship Game in Atlanta - Minnesota United FC
- Preview: Orlando City Travels to Minnesota for Saturday Match - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Teams up with Allstate - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Register 3-2 Win against Chicago Fire at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Ten-Man Chicago Fire Drops Hard Fought 3-2 Loss to Portland, Remains Three Points Away from Playoff Spot - Chicago Fire
- FC Dallas Falls to LA Galaxy 2-0 - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Drops 3-0 Road Result at Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, FC Dallas 0 - Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Dismantles Seattle Sounders FC 3-0 - Real Salt Lake
- Atlanta United Defeats Club America, Wins Campeones Cup - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Goes through to Canadian Championship Final - Montreal Impact
- Tesho Akindele's First Half Finish Leads Lions to 1-0 Victory Over Sporting Kansas City - Orlando City SC
- Loan Goal from Darwin Quintero Nabs All Three for MNUFC - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United's Franco Escobar and Paulo Neto Win eMLS Tournament Special
- Atlanta United Training Update: May 11
- Atlanta United's Franco Escobar and Paulo Neto advance to Championship Sunday of eMLS Tournament Special
- Atlanta United players return to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Training Ground for individual workouts
- Atlanta United Partners with American Family Insurance and Gusto to Kick off Nurses Appreciation Week