Arizona Coyotes Sign Busby to ATO with Tucson
Flint, Mich. - The Arizona Coyotes have signed Flint Firebirds' defenseman Dennis Busby to an Amateur Tryout Agreement (ATO) with their American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Tucson Roadrunners. Busby has already joined the Roadrunners and will wear #11 with Tucson.
Busby, 19, recorded a career-high 0.52 points-per-game this season. He tallied 14 points (1G, 13A) in a shortened season of just 27 games this year.
The Barrie, Ont. native was selected by the Arizona Coyotes in the fifth-round (145th overall) of the 2018 NHL Draft after playing in just two games during his NHL Draft year.
Busby is now the third Firebird to be called up to the professional ranks since Flint's season ended last Sunday, joining forward Ty Dellandrea (Texas Stars) and defenseman Hakon Nilsen (Wichita Thunder).
Last season, Maurizio Colella (Worcester Railers) and Jalen Smereck (Tucson Roadrunners) were two Firebirds that earned professional bids. Prior to that, following the 2016-17 campaign, the Firebirds set a record of six players that signed contracts after a season: Nick Caamano (Texas Stars), Mathieu Henderson (South Carolina Stingrays), Connor Hicks (Adirondack Thunder), Ryan Moore (Orlando Polar Bears), Kole Sherwood (Cleveland Monsters) and Smereck (Tucson).
The Tucson Roadrunners are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Arizona Coyotes.
Since the Flint Firebirds' inception four season ago in 2015, the club has now had 15 drafted or NHL signed players on its roster consisting of Will Bitten (Montreal), Dennis Busby (Arizona), Nick Caamano (Dallas), Connor Chatham (New Jersey), Ty Dellandrea (Dallas) Fedor Gordeev (Toronto), Kyle Keyser (Boston Bruins), Nick Mattinen (Toronto), Brent Moran (Dallas), Alex Nedeljkovic (Carolina), Alex Peters (Dallas), Vili Saarijarvi (Detroit), Kole Sherwood (Columbus), Jalen Smereck (Arizona) and Josh Wesley (Carolina).
Early bird ticket packages for the Flint Firebirds' 2019-20 OHL season are on sale now. A $50 deposit reserves your seat for next season! The special early bird price deadline is Tuesday, April 30th and fans can secure their seats for next season at the Dort Federal Event Center Box Office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday thru Friday. For additional pricing and ticket information, fans can call the box office at (810) 744-0580 or email email@example.com.
Images from this story
Flint Firebirds defenseman Dennis Busby
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2019
- Steelheads Come up Short in Game Three - Mississauga Steelheads
- Generals Roll, 8-2 - Oshawa Generals
- Knights Blank Spitfires to Take Game Two - London Knights
- Bulldogs Drop Game 2 in Ottawa 5-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- 67's Keep Bulldogs on Leash, Win 5-2 to Take 2-0 Series Lead - Ottawa 67's
- Rangers Lose 7-0 in Game Two Versus the Storm - Kitchener Rangers
- Game Preview: Gens Take on Petes at Home Tonight in Game 2 at 6:05pm - Oshawa Generals
- Arizona Coyotes Sign Busby to ATO with Tucson - Flint Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Firebirds Select Forward Brennan Othmann Second-Overall in OHL Draft Saturday
- Firebirds to Pick 2nd-Overall in 2019 OHL Draft Saturday
- Arizona Coyotes Sign Busby to ATO with Tucson
- Nilsen Signs with Edmonton Oilers' Affiliate Wichita Thunder
- Dellandrea Called-Up to Dallas Stars' AHL Affiliate, Texas Stars